Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (6)
  • Print

Police: Strip shooting-crash suspect back in Vegas

A self-described pimp accused of killing three people in a shooting and fiery crash on the Strip was back in Las Vegas on Tuesday after he was transferred under tight security from Los Angeles, authorities said.

Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Good for the Vegas police for being transparent and giving this case visibility as a... MORE
It's long past time to go after the human traffickers who style themselves as... MORE
I'm sure the educational system will be blamed somewhere and how he was let down along... MORE

advertising

LAS VEGAS —

A self-described pimp accused of killing three people in a shooting and fiery crash on the Strip was back in Las Vegas on Tuesday after he was transferred under tight security from Los Angeles, authorities said.

"We took no chances," Las Vegas police Capt. Chris Jones said after Ammar Harris was booked into the Clark County jail. "We had information that he was contemplating attempts to escape, but the transfer was uneventful."

Police released jail booking photos and posted a video on YouTube showing Harris in shackles and ducking his face beneath his sweatshirt while sitting on a jail bench.

The images were published because the world deserves to see every step taken toward justice after the violence sparked concerns about Strip safety, said Officer Jose Hernandez, a police spokesman.

Stunned tourists compared the early morning crash and carnage on Feb. 21 to a Hollywood action film.

"This, for us, was a priority," Hernandez said about returning Harris to Nevada.

Harris, 27, had been held in Los Angeles since he was arrested on Feb. 28 at an apartment in Studio City following an intense multi-state manhunt.

In Las Vegas, police said Harris and aspiring rapper Kenneth Wayne Cherry Jr. had exchanged angry words in a hotel valet area before Harris fired shots from a black Range Rover SUV and mortally wounded Cherry behind the wheel of a Maserati on the Strip.

The sports car slammed into a taxi that burst into flames, killing driver Michael Boldon, 62, of Las Vegas, and passenger Sandra Sutton-Wasmund, 48, of Maple Valley, Wash.

Another man suffered gunshot wounds in the Maserati, and four other people were hurt in chain-reaction crashes at the neon-lit crossroads that features such iconic resorts as Caesars Palace, Bellagio, Bally's and the Flamingo.

Police found no gun in the Maserati and no evidence that Cherry returned fire before the crash.

Harris is due in court Wednesday for an initial appearance on three felony murder counts, one count of attempted murder, and several felony counts of firing a weapon. The charges could bring the death penalty if he is convicted.

It was not immediately clear if Harris has a lawyer in Las Vegas. During extradition hearings in Los Angeles, he was represented by deputy public defenders.

The Range Rover was found two days after the crash at an apartment complex near the Strip, triggering the manhunt for Harris.

Members of a joint Las Vegas-area police-FBI criminal apprehension team handled the overnight transfer of Harris.

-----

Find Ken Ritter on Twitter: http://twitter.com/krttr

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►