Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 6:43 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

School starts at new building for Sandy Hook kids

Returning students, teachers and administrators were met by a large police presence outside the new Sandy Hook Elementary School in the neighboring town of Monroe.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

MONROE, Conn. — For her son’s first day of school since last month’s massacre at his Sandy Hook Elementary, Sarah Caron tried to make Thursday as normal as possible. She made his favorite pancakes, and she walked the second-grader to the top of the driveway for the school bus.

But it was harder than usual to say goodbye.

“I hugged him a lot longer than normal, until he said, ‘Mommy, please,’ ” she said. “And then he got on the bus, and he was OK.”

Her 7-year-old son, William, was among more than 400 students who escaped a gunman’s rampage that killed 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14. On Thursday, the returning students settled in at their old, familiar desks but in a different school in a different town.

Returning students, teachers and administrators were met by a large police presence outside their new school in the neighboring town of Monroe, where a middle school that had been shuttered for nearly two years was overhauled and renamed after their old school. Several officers guarded the entrance and checked IDs of parents dropping off children.

Monroe police Lt. Keith White said attendance was very good and the children were getting back to “business as usual.”

“A lot of them were happy to see their friends they hadn’t seen in a while,” he said.

William’s classroom had been across the hall from a first-grade room where children and teacher Victoria Soto died, and he had been nervous about going back to school, Caron said. But an open house Wednesday at the school eased some of his fears.

“They didn’t talk about what happened at all,” she said. “They went in, met up with their teachers, had a little circle time and it was just about trying to get them back into school.”

Most of the students arrived at the new school in Monroe by bus, something school officials had suggested to help them get back into a familiar routine.

Nick Phelps, who lives a few blocks from the original Sandy Hook school, said his first-grader and third-grader are excited about the new school because it means a longer bus ride to Monroe, which is about 7 miles away.

He was there when the bus brought them home Thursday afternoon.

“I was never so excited to see my children and, certainly, to see my children get off the bus. There was a shared joy,” he said.

About 80 parents attended an assembly Thursday with school and police officials, who fielded questions about security and activities planned for their children. White said security will remain at a high level for now and will be re-evaluated each week.

The gunman, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed his mother inside their Newtown home before driving to the school. He shot his way into the building and carried out the massacre before committing suicide as police arrived.

On Thursday, Gov. Dannel Malloy announced the creation of an advisory commission that will review and recommend changes to state laws and policies on gun control, school-safety measures and mental-health services after the rampage.

In related developments:

• The Hearst Connecticut Media Group apologized Thursday because one of its newspapers, The Advocate of Stamford, ran an ad for an antique gun show next to an article about the Newtown school shooting.

A statement released by Group Publisher Paul Farrell said the ad’s placement was the result of an oversight. The ad for the East Coast Fine Arms Show appeared Thursday beside an article about students at the school. The promoter for the gun show, scheduled to begin Saturday in Stamford, did not return a message seeking comment.

• Jean Henry, a worker at the state’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, was placed on a paid leave pending an investigation of a Dec. 16 incident in which she allowed her husband, who is not an authorized employee of the office, to view the body of Lanza two days after the Newtown school massacre. Sources said Henry is a processing technician at the Farmington facility.

Material from The Hartford Courant is included in this report.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Career Center Blog

Career Center Blog

How to tame an unruly resume


Advertising