Celebrating the Beatles’ first concert in Seattle
The Museum of History & Industry, Seattle Center and other institutions are celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Seattle concert by the Beatles with special events.
The Museum of History & Industry is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the first Seattle concert by the Beatles with a special photo exhibit.
But other institutions are jumping into the Fab Four fray, too.
Here’s what’s going on:
• Seattle Center offers Beatles Week, including a special announcement from Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, Beatles-themed discounts at Seattle Center Armory food merchants, and events at various Seattle Center venues (see below). Monday-Saturday, Aug. 18-23, Seattle Center, 305 Harrison St.; free (206-684-7200 or seattlecenter.com).
• Laser Beatles, with choreographed laser-light shows to classic Beatles tunes. 1:45 p.m. and 4:45 p.m. Monday-Saturday, Aug. 18-23 and 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, in the Laser Dome at the Pacific Science Center; $6 evenings, $3 afternoons, with Pacific Science Center admission (pacificsciencecenter.org, search “Laser Dome”).
• Beatles-themed happy hour with music, drinks, trivia and prizes. 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at Seattle Center Armory restaurants (seattlecenter.com, search “armory”).
• Crème Tangerine, a Seattle Beatles cover band, re-creates the 1964 Beatles concert. 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at the Mural Amphitheatre, Seattle Center, 305 Harrison St.; free (206-684-7200 or seattlecenter.com).
• Beatles-themed day at the Seattle Children’s Museum, where kids can create their own Beatle Bug and play with it along the museum’s “Abbey Road.” 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at the Seattle Children’s Museum, Seattle Center Armory; $8.25 (206-441-1768 or thechildrensmuseum.org).
• The Edgewater Hotel, where the Beatles famously fished out the window during their Seattle stay, offers the Beatles tribute band British Export in the restaurant Six Seven, at 9:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22, and Friday, Aug. 29. The restaurant will serve Beatles-themed drinks and a special tribute menu, and the hotel is also offering a Fab Four World Tour Package that includes accommodations in the Beatles Suite, through Dec. 30. The Edgewater is at 2411 Alaskan Way, Seattle (800-624-0670 or edgewaterhotel.com).
• “Get Back,” presented by Synergia Northwest, brings the 1964 Beatles concert back to life with performances by Northwest musicians, including Ben Smith of Heart, Jeff Angell of Walking Papers and the Synergia Northwest Orchestra doing the entire “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album. 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at McCaw Hall, 321 Mercer St.; $36.50-$86.50 (206-428-6303 or www.mccawhall.com).