Bumbershoot on a budget: Best of the rest of the fest
Check out a slew of great bands, including Jamie Lidell, the Maldives, Plants and Animals, and Ozomatli, all included in Bumbershoot's new $22 "Economy" ticket.
Seattle Times staff reporter
Opt for Bumbershoot's $22 "Economy" ticket and you've excluded nine acts on the main stage — less than 10 percent of the weekend's bands. Of the remaining 90 percent, there are tons of goodness to be had at almost half the "Standard" ticket cost — especially on Saturday and Monday. Save a few bucks and enjoy the best of the rest of the fest, rounded up by day below.
Plants and Animals, 2:15 p.m. Broad Street Stage. Ambitious Canadian prog-rock trio is the first band you need to see at Bshoot.
The Maldives, 3 p.m. Starbucks Stage. Seattle country-rock war horses' winning new material is destined for big audiences
Wheedle's Groove, 3:45 p.m. State Farm Stage. Seattle music-history lesson/deep-soul celebration via 25-piece local old-schoolers who made said history.
The Budos Band, 5:30 p.m. State Farm Stage. Hard-hitting, horn-heavy Afro-funk from 10-piece BKLN ensemble.
Jamie Lidell, 5:45 p.m. Broad Street Stage. Techno-soul singer and true entertainer from the UK always surprises.
See Me River, 6:45 p.m. EMP Sky Church. Bona-fide classic rock by way-too-modest Seattle scene vets.
Solomon Burke, 8:45 p.m. Starbucks Stage. Hearing soul classic "Cry to Me" by its 70-year-old originator is worth $22.
Ozomatli, 9:30 p.m. State Farm Stage. Still the world's crowd-revvingest party band.
School of Rock All Stars, 12:30 p.m. EMP Sky Church. A showcase of the top students from the school for 8- to 18-year-olds.
Garotas Suecas, 2:15 p.m. State Farm Stage. Gonzo psychedelic soul from São Paulo, Brazil.
The Whigs, 3 p.m. Center Square Stage. Brash, bruising rock trio from Athens, Ga., are Bshoot faves.
Kings Go Forth, 4 p.m. State Farm Stage. Disco done right by nine freaks from Milwaukee.
Meat Puppets, 4 p.m. Broad Street Stage. Eerie, influential psych-pop by proud '90s burnouts.
The Moondoggies, 5 p.m. Starbucks Stage. Everett-born roots-poppers release second album, "Tidelands," on Hardly Art Oct. 12.
Surfer Blood, 7:30 p.m. Broad Street Stage. Animal Collective and Boston collide in savvy pop anthems for Gen Z.
Booker T., 8:30 p.m. Starbucks Stage. Bshoot's legacy act plays vintage Southern soul; like Dylan, not to be missed.
The Spits, 9:15 p.m. EMP Sky Church. Dumb, dirty, brilliant punk from Seattle mainstays.
The Thermals, 9:15 p.m. Broad Street Stage. Giddy energy, pop-punk smarts, ebullient live show.
Jonathan Zwickel: 206-464-3239 or email@example.com
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.
"Iron Man 3" kicks off a summer blockbuster season that will see hundreds of speeding, squealing, exploding, airborne, rolling and smoking vehicles in...
Post a comment