Angels trade for pitcher, outfielder
The Los Angeles Angels have bolstered their bullpen by acquiring left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana for outfielder Zach Borenstein and minor league right-hander Joey Krehbiel.
The Associated Press
ANAHEIM, Calif. — The Los Angeles Angels bolstered their bullpen by acquiring left-handed reliever Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana for outfielder Zach Borenstein and minor-league right-hander Joey Krehbiel.
The sidearm-throwing Thatcher was 1-0 with a 2.63 earned-run average with 25 strikeouts and three walks in 37 games for Arizona this season. Thatcher is 9-12 with a 3.26 ERA during his eight-year career that started in San Diego.
Borenstein, 23, was the Angels’ minor-league player of the year last season and hit .262 with seven homers and 50 runs batted in in 78 games between Class AA Arkansas and Class AAA Salt Lake this year.
• Milwaukee Brewers right fielder Ryan Braun left the game against Cincinnati with back spasms. Braun missed 14 games in May because of a strained right oblique.
• The Athletics and the Cubs finalized their trade, sending pitchers Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to Oakland. Chicago got a package of prospects that included the A’s first-round selections in each of the past two drafts. To make room for Samardzija, left-hander Tommy Milone was optioned to Class AAA Sacramento.
• Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki is being cautious with a tight groin and missed a second straight game to rest. He hopes to play Sunday.
• Newly acquired Rockies pitcher Jair Jurrjens was taken to a hospital after his start Friday because he was struggling to catch his breath. Jurrjens said X-rays and blood work revealed nothing out of the ordinary and his shortness of breath may simply be due to Denver’s altitude.
• St. Louis Cardinals left-hander Jaime Garcia said he may need additional shoulder surgery because he’s experiencing nerve issues and numbness in his hand.
• Third baseman David Wright was back in the New York Mets’ lineup after missing seven games with an injured left shoulder.