Marlins’ Fernandez could be out for season with elbow injury
Marlins ace Jose Fernandez was placed on the 15-day disabled list, but some reports indicate he might need season-ending surgery.
Seattle Times news services
LOS ANGELES — Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez was put on the 15-day disabled list Monday because of a sprained right elbow, spurring worries that his injury might be even more severe. Some reports indicate Fernandez may be done for the season.
The 21-year-old Fernandez was the NL Rookie of the Year last season. He is 4-2 with a 2.44 earned-run average in eight starts this year.
Several young pitchers have recently had elbow problems and needed Tommy John surgery. Matt Harvey, Stephen Strasburg and Patrick Corbin are among the All-Stars who have had the ligament transplant operation that can take 12 to 18 months for recovery.
“That’s probably what everyone is going to talk about and continue to talk about,” Marlins manager Mike Redmond said before Monday night’s game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
“We’ve protected him. We’ve been consistent in how we’ve used him, with his workload. We’ve given him extra days. That’s a question I don’t think anybody has the answer to.”
Fernandez had been scheduled to start Wednesday at Dodger Stadium.
“He definitely wasn’t going to throw (Sunday’s scheduled bullpen session at San Diego) with a sore arm. We’re going to take every precaution necessary. He said he felt discomfort. So immediately, we’re getting him the treatment and the rest he needs,” Redmond said.
“I think you’re always concerned when you’re talking about elbows. That’s something we have to wait to find out. But I think we’re always concerned about that with pitchers, especially.”
• So much for easing in the new kid.
Rafael Montero was handed quite an assignment by the New York Mets for his major-league debut: a Subway Series start against the crosstown rival Yankees.
The Mets bumped Jenrry Mejia to the bullpen Monday, a move he was reluctant to make, and said Montero will be called up to pitch in the right-hander’s place Wednesday night at Citi Field.
“We understand that it’s a debut on a big stage,” general manager Sandy Alderson said. “We think he’s ready now.”
One of several touted arms in the Mets’ farm system, the 23-year-old Montero is 4-1 with a 3.67 ERA and 41 strikeouts in 412 / 3 innings at Class AAA Las Vegas. He tossed 51 / 3 hitless innings Friday night in a win over Salt Lake and was pulled after 98 pitches.
Next up, Derek Jeter and the Bronx Bombers.
“We think from a mental standpoint he’s well able to handle it,” Alderson said. “The basic question that we ask ourselves is, what gives us the best chance to win?”
• A hearing has been set on a motion by attorneys for Los Angeles Dodgers star Yasiel Puig to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a Cuban man blaming the player for his imprisonment and torture on the communist island.
The hearing is set Friday in Miami before U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams. In the lawsuit, Miguel Angel Corbacho Daudinot claims he was falsely accused by Puig of involvement in human trafficking and has been subjected to torture in Cuban prisons.
• Turns out Dr. James Andrews does knees, too, and CC Sabathia wants to see what the renowned surgeon has to say about one of his. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Sabathia, put on the disabled list Sunday because of a buildup of fluid in his right knee, asked to be evaluated by Andrews, perhaps as early as Wednesday.
• A federal jury deadlocked Monday on a brutality claim by former Houston Astros pitcher Brandon Backe, who had sought millions in damages after accusing police of causing career-ending injuries when they broke up a 2008 wedding party.
Backe and his attorneys said they would seek a retrial of the unresolved claims. However, “I can hold my head up high. It has been six years since the beating and I was able to tell my story,” the right-hander said.