Clinic director says he injected A-Rod
A day after New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez received a seasonlong ban for doping, Anthony Bosch, the man who says he supplied Rodriguez’s performance-enhancing drugs, said he had personally given him injections.
Seattle Times news services
NEW YORK — A day after New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez received a seasonlong ban for doping, Anthony Bosch, the man who says he supplied Rodriguez’s performance-enhancing drugs, said he had personally given him injections.
Bosch, in an interview with the CBS program “60 Minutes” that aired Sunday, said he had administered Rodriguez with injections of testosterone, human growth hormone and other performance enhancers. He said Rodriguez had paid him $12,000 a month and had been motivated by a goal of hitting 800 home runs, far surpassing the career record.
“Alex is scared of needles,” said Bosch, who seemed at ease, often smiling, with his hair slicked back. “So at times, he would ask me to inject.”
Rodriguez did not appear on the program, but one of his lawyers, Joseph Tacopina, did, saying Bosch’s statements were not credible. Rodriguez has repeatedly denied that he used banned substances in connection with Bosch’s former South Florida anti-aging clinic, Biogenesis of America.
Baseball commissioner Bud Selig and Robert Manfred, the baseball executive who oversaw the case against Rodriguez, also appeared. In the opening, Selig chastised Rodriguez, saying, “In my judgment, his actions were beyond comprehension.”
Before “60 Minutes” aired, the players union issued a statement saying the baseball officials’ participation in the program was “inconsistent” with the confidentiality rules in baseball’s doping program. The union said it was “considering all legal options available to remedy any breaches committed by MLB.”
“It is unfortunate that Major League Baseball apparently lacks faith in the integrity and finality of the arbitrator’s decision and our Joint Drug Agreement, such that it could not resist the temptation to pile on against Alex Rodriguez,” the union said.
Baseball responded, saying it had notified the union that it “intended to respond to all of the attacks” on the doping program. The league noted the appearance of Rodriguez’s lawyer and said that Bosch had agreed on his own to be interviewed.
Last year, Bosch, who is not a licensed doctor, initially denied that he had provided banned substances to Rodriguez and other professional ballplayers before changing his story and becoming baseball’s main witness in its doping investigation.
Bosch provided baseball with information that led to 13 players accepting suspensions of 50 to 65 games. But Rodriguez received a 211-game ban, as baseball officials claimed he had not only used banned substances over a period of years but had also obstructed their investigation.
Rodriguez appealed the suspension, and Bosch testified during his arbitration hearing. On Saturday, the arbitrator hearing the case, Fredric Horowitz, reduced the suspension to one full season — 162 games — and the postseason. Rodriguez has said he will seek to use the courts to challenge the decision.
Horowitz’s written decision has not been made public, so it is unclear how much credence he gave Bosch’s testimony.
Rodriguez and the Yankees might be headed for another battle about whether the suspended slugger will be allowed to attend spring training beginning Feb. 19, when position players are required to report.
“He plans on being at spring training,” Rodriguez’s spokesman wrote in an email Sunday.
However, the Yankees may prevent Rodriguez from training with the major-league players in Tampa, Fla., as long as he remains a suspended player. Though no final decision has been reached, the club is considering making him work out with the minor-leaguers across the street from the club’s spring-training home.
TORONTO — Jason Bay’s rapid ascent to stardom in the big leagues was matched by an equally rapid decline that has him all but officially retired, a sad end to one of the top baseball careers ever enjoyed by a Canadian.
“I haven’t filed papers or anything yet, but I don’t really see a scenario where I would play this year or beyond, really,” the 35-year-old from Trail, B.C., told sportsnet.ca. “I had some offers, and an offer to play in Japan, actually, which could be fun for a life experience. I talked to Kevin Youkilis who’s doing it, but taking the whole family over there defeats the purpose of being at home and doing the family thing.
“The writing has been on the wall, I just haven’t made it official, per se. This is probably the end of the road.”
Bay, a three-time All-Star and the 2004 National League Rookie of the Year, finishes his career with 222 home runs, third among Canadians all-time behind Larry Walker (383) and Matt Stairs (265). Justin Morneau is one back of Bay and will presumably move past him next season.
Bay played in 68 games for the Mariners last season, hitting 11 homers but batting just .204. He was released in August.
Bay, who played collegiately at Gonzaga, said his experience in Seattle was a positive one.
“But I’m used to performing at a certain level and I can’t do it anymore. It’s a grim reality,” he said.