In the news:
Video reviews may expand in 2014
The Associated Press
COOPERSTOWN, N.Y. — Calling it a historic moment, commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday that Major League Baseball plans to expand its video-review process next season, giving managers a tool they’ve never had in an effort to dramatically reduce the number of incorrect calls made in games.
Selig made the announcement after two days of meetings with representatives of the 30 teams. The proposal is to be voted on by the owners in November.
“I’m proud of them,” Selig said of the replay committee — Atlanta Braves President John Schuerholz, MLB vice president Joe Torre and former manager Tony La Russa. “It’s worked out remarkably well. It’s historic. There’s no question about it.”
A 75 percent vote by the owners is needed for approval, and the players’ association and umpires would have to agree to any changes to the current system.
Schuerholz said umpires were receptive.
Managers will be allowed one challenge over the first six innings of a game and two from the seventh inning until the completion of the game. Calls that are challenged will be reviewed by a crew in MLB headquarters in New York City, which will make a final call.
• Brewers 2B Rickie Weeks had surgery to repair his torn left hamstring. He hit only .209 with 24 RBI in 104 games.
• Yankees OF Ichiro remained six hits shy of 4,000 combined in the majors and Japan, popping out as a pinch-hitter against the Angels. Ichiro, who turns 40 in October, is hitting .275 despite a 1-for-13 slump.
• The Yankees have signed free-swinging corner infielder Mark Reynolds, according to a source familiar with the deal. Reynolds was released by Cleveland last week.