More surgery for Santana threatens pitcher's career
Johan Santana may have thrown his final pitch for the New York Mets and perhaps even the last of his big-league career. The Mets said Thursday...
NEW YORK — Johan Santana may have thrown his final pitch for the New York Mets and perhaps even the last of his big-league career.
The Mets said Thursday the two-time Cy Young Award winner probably has re-torn the anterior capsule in his left shoulder and likely will need a second operation that would sideline him for the entire season. Santana missed 2011 after his first shoulder surgery.
"I am not a doctor, nor am I a medical historian, but these injuries are very difficult to recover from after one surgery, and I'm not sure what the history is of recovery from a second more or less identical surgery," general manager Sandy Alderson said.
New York owes the 34-year-old left-hander $31 million more as part of the $137.5 million, six-year deal he signed before the 2008 season, and Alderson said the remainder of the contract is not covered by insurance.
Santana had surgery on Sept. 14, 2010, and did not make it back to the major leagues until last April 5. He went 6-9 with a 4.85 earned-run average in 21 starts last year and threw the first no-hitter in team history on June 1 against St Louis.
He later went on the disabled list for three weeks because of a sprained ankle and didn't pitch after Aug. 17 because of lower-back inflammation.
Santana hasn't pitched in any exhibition games during spring training because of arm weakness, and he threw his last bullpen session in early March without the team's permission.
"We don't know when it happened, how it happened," Alderson said. "But what we do know is that at some point symptoms appeared and they worsened rather than improved."
Peter Greenberg, the pitcher's agent, said Santana didn't have any comment yet.
Bedard makes Astros rotation
KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Brad Peacock and Erik Bedard have made the Houston Astros' rotation and will pitch the fourth and fifth games of the regular season.
Bedard is a veteran left-hander and a former Mariner who was signed as a free agent in January.
• Back on the mound at AT&T Park, Tim Lincecum was still far from his old form. The former ace allowed five runs in his final start before the regular season, and the host San Francisco Giants lost to the Oakland Athletics 7-3. Lincecum ended a shaky spring with a 10.57 ERA in five starts.
• The Detroit Tigers optioned rookie reliever Bruce Rondon to Class AAA Toledo, leaving the AL champions without a closer as they prepare for Monday's opener at Minnesota.
Rondon went 2-1 with a 5.84 ERA in 13 spring-training games. Closer Jose Valverde struggled in the postseason last year and became a free agent, and the Tigers brought in the 22-year-old Rondon as his replacement.
• Former Mariners reliever Mark Lowe, released by the Dodgers this week, has a legitimate shot at making the opening-day roster for the Angels. "We'll look at him over the Dodger series and see where he is," manager Mike Scioscia said. "It's an exciting arm, that's for sure."
• Veteran catcher Miguel Olivo, who played for the Mariners last year, agreed to terms with the Miami Marlins, hours after he was released by Cincinnati.
• The Baltimore Orioles put right-hander Chris Tillman on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left abdominal muscle.
• The San Francisco Giants signed general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy to three-year contracts that will keep them with the club through the 2016 season.