Manny Ramirez asks for, and is granted, release from Athletics | Baseball notebook
Manny Ramirez is a free agent again after he asked the Athletics to release him and the team granted his request on Friday. Ramirez signed a minor-league...
OAKLAND, Calif. — Manny Ramirez is a free agent again after he asked the Athletics to release him and the team granted his request on Friday.
Ramirez signed a minor-league deal with Oakland on Feb. 20 and hit .302 with 14 RBI in 17 games with Class AAA Sacramento. He served a 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy last year, but remained in the minors when the ban ended on his 40th birthday May 30.
"Manny believes he has demonstrated that he is ready to return to the major leagues," Ramirez's agents, Barry Praver and Scott Shapiro, said in a statement. "However, given that the Oakland Athletics could not give Manny any assurance that they plan to promote him in the immediate future he asked for his release."
• Major League Baseball denied the Mets' appeal of an official scoring decision during R.A. Dickey's one-hitter at Tampa Bay on Wednesday.
• The Cardinals' Carlos Beltran became the first switch-hitter in major-league history to record 300 home runs and 300 steals with a steal of second in the second inning Friday. He has 300 steals in 343 attempts and 321 homers.
• The Rangers' Josh Hamilton was hospitalized with an intestinal virus. He was expected to be released Saturday.
• Marlins 3B Hanley Ramirez was scratched from the lineup after a ball hit him in the nose during batting practice in a cage.
• Red Sox RHP Josh Beckett will miss his start Sunday because of inflammation in his right shoulder.
• Blue Jays RHP Kyle Drabek may require elbow surgery after an MRI revealed a torn ligament. Drabek, who underwent ligament-replacement surgery as a minor-leaguer in 2007, will visit surgeon Dr. James Andrews on Monday to confirm the diagnosis.
• The Braves designated RHP Livan Hernandez for assignment. The 37-year-old Hernandez was 1-1 with a 4.94 ERA and one save with the Braves.