Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Monday, May 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Snohomish County retreats from proposed slide building ban

Snohomish County is backing away from a proposed temporary moratorium on home construction in landslide-prone areas, but will consider new setback requirements and other rules.


Seattle Times political reporter

Reader Comments
Hide / Show comments
Good for the council for thinking this decision through- it's not to be taken lightly as it has some sweeping... MORE
looks like the home building industry got their money's worth when they paid the lobbiest to push the way he did. the... MORE
@Mel Gourmet living in those hazard areas lets people buy cheap homes and then they expect the tax funded government to... MORE

advertising

EVERETT — Snohomish County has backed away from a proposed moratorium on home construction in landslide-prone areas.

Instead, county officials said Monday they’ll consider less sweeping measures, such as wider setbacks and additional geotechnical studies for homebuilding near hillsides.

The emergency moratorium, floated last month by Snohomish County Council Chairman Dave Somers, would have halted new building permits for residential construction within a half-mile of hills considered landslide hazard zones.

But Somers acknowledged at a council meeting Monday the moratorium concept had been “overly broad.” County staffers determined it would have banned development in most of the county.

At the request of County Executive John Lovick’s office, the council decided to delay discussion of other possible development restrictions for two weeks.

The discussion of new development limits was prompted by the devastating March 22 mudslide near Oso, which left 41 people dead and two missing.

The Steelhead Haven neighborhood swept aside by the slide had been platted in the 1960s, but some home construction had taken place as late as 2009, despite warnings about a potentially deadly slide going back decades.

Somers said the Oso slide was an “extreme event” but he supports new controls on development in hazardous areas.

He said besides looking at wider setbacks and geotechnical-analysis requirements, the council should study whether to attach formally recorded warnings to properties in danger zones.

In Seattle, people seeking building permits in known landslide-hazard zones are warned of risks via written covenants required by the city’s planning department.

County Councilmember Ken Klein, whose district includes the Oso area, said the county should ensure time for affected property owners and others to comment on any proposed new rules. “We need to make sure we do it deliberatively,” Klein said.

Snohomish County’s current development regulations say homes must be set back from the bottom of potentially dangerous hillsides by at least 50 feet or half the height of the hill, whichever is greater.

A proposal circulated by the council last week would quadruple that setback, requiring a buffer twice the height of the nearby hillside.

That would not protect houses from an Oso-size slide. The mudslide stretched 3,700 feet from the toe of the 600-foot-high slope that collapsed, a county staff report noted.

An Edmonds-area resident who showed up at Monday’s meeting urged the council to follow through with new restrictions, saying unchecked development is occurring on unstable bluffs.

Joan Smith said the county needs rules on tree retention, citing clear-cuts by developers. While the moratorium proposed by Somers probably went too far, Smith said, “we do have to look more closely at some of these critical areas.”

A lobbyist for homebuilders applauded the council’s decision to back off on the moratorium.

“It’s wise to take the time to get it right,” said Mike Pattison, North Snohomish County manager for the Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties.

Meanwhile, King County also is taking a fresh look at landslide risks.

King County Executive Dow Constantine said in a news release Monday he’s directing county staffers to seek federal aid to update the county’s map of landslide-hazard areas, using the latest laser mapping technology. The county’s current map was developed in the 1990s.

The county will make its updated map and related information more accessible to the public, and may consider adding landslide-hazard information to property titles, according to the news release.

Jim Brunner: 206-515-5628 or jbrunner@seattletimes.com. On Twitter @Jim_Brunner



Free 4-week trial, then $99 a year for unlimited seattletimes.com access. Try it now!

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Enter to win!

Enter to win!

Share a photo of your holiday lights display and you may win a $100 Home Depot gift card.

Advertising

Partner Video

Advertising

Career Center Blog

Career Center Blog

Looking for joy on the job


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription upgrade.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. For unlimited seattletimes.com access, please upgrade your digital subscription.

Call customer service at 1.800.542.0820 for assistance with your upgrade or questions about your subscriber status.

The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Activate Subscriber Account ►