Skip to main content

Originally published February 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM | Page modified February 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Super Bowl celebrations turn rowdy; 2 shootings nearby

The joy that marked the Seahawks’ Super Bowl victory took a troubling turn late Sunday and early Monday in Pioneer Square and the University District.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


The cheers, tears and joy that marked the Seahawks’ first Super Bowl victory turned violent late Sunday and early Monday.

Two men were shot and wounded near the massive celebration in Pioneer Square. Bottles and rocks were thrown at Seattle ­police, and the windows of businesses were broken, said police spokesman Mark Jamieson.

Police said the two shootings were unrelated. But they could not say whether the shootings were related to the celebrations over the ­Seahawks’ Super Bowl win.

In total, four people were arrested in and around the celebrations across the city.

The first shooting was reported at 11:20 p.m. at First Avenue and Cherry Street, where a man suffered a gunshot wound to the leg, police said.

Officers arrested a suspect and recovered a handgun, police said.

“Officers were right there because of the crowds. They made an arrest and recovered the gun,” Jamieson said.

The victim was taken to Harborview Medical Center with what police described as a non-life-threatening wound.

Officers responded to a second shooting, involving another victim with a gunshot wound to the leg, about 10 minutes later in the 200 block of Alaskan Way South.

Police believe the victim and the suspect — who fled the scene — know one another.

While Pioneer Square was the scene of a huge early morning celebration, immediately after the game crowds spilled onto the streets of the University District.

Crowds congregated on Greek Row, near the University of Washington, and started a bonfire. Sofas and other furniture were burned.

Police arrested one person in the University District for reckless burning, and at least two people who hurled bottles at officers near First and Yesler, police said.

The historic pergola in Pioneer Square suffered some $25,000 damage during the celebrations by people walking on the structure, said Joelle Hammerstad, spokeswoman for Seattle Parks and Recreation.

“We have at least 17 panels of glass broken,” she said. “The panels of glass are very expensive, they’re $800 to $900 apiece.”

The copper on the structure also was damaged. If it is not replaced, the structure will leak, she said.

Because it’s a historic structure, the work has to be done to unique specifications.

The pergola, which was built as the upper level of a lavish underground public restroom in 1909, has been struck by vehicles numerous times over the years, most recently in May.

It also was struck by a semi truck last April, but sustained only minor damage, according to media reports.

The pergola toppled in January 2001 when it was struck by another semi truck. It was rebuilt at a cost of $3.9 million.

Staff reporter Paige Cornwell contributed to this report, which includes information from Seattle Times archives.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Time to add another piece to your Hawks collection

Time to add another piece to your Hawks collection

Check out the full lineup of championship merchandise from The Seattle Times store.


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►