Skip to main content

Originally published Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Man acquitted in hospital assault is arrested in theft, stabbing

Three days after an Eastern Washington man was acquitted of assaulting a nurse at Seattle’s Virginia Mason Medical Center and released from the King County Jail, he was arrested in the stabbing of a loss-prevention officer who confronted him about the theft of a Seahawks sweatshirt.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


Three days after a King County jury acquitted a 30-year-old Eastern Washington man of assaulting a nurse at Virginia Mason Medical Center, he was arrested by Seattle police for allegedly stealing a Seahawks sweatshirt and attacking a loss-prevention officer with a knife.

Patrick Page waived his first court appearance Monday, when a judge found probable cause to hold him on investigation of robbery for the alleged theft and knife attack Sunday outside a Rite Aid Pharmacy on Capitol Hill, according to the King County Prosecutor’s Office.

On Tuesday, a judge set Page’s bail at $100,000.

Jail and court records show Page, who has last known addresses in Spokane and Wenatchee, spent more than four months in the King County Jail before he was released last Wednesday, the same day a jury found him not guilty of third-degree assault.

In that assault case, Page went to Virginia Mason on Sept. 6 to be treated for hallucinations and blisters on his feet and was placed in a psychiatric holding room, court records say. At the time, there was a state Department of Corrections warrant for his arrest for escaping community custody, as well as another felony warrant for his arrest, according to the records.

Dressed in a hospital gown, Page tried to leave Virginia Mason after staff told him that Seattle police had been notified of his warrants. He was accused of punching and biting a nurse who tried to stop him from leaving, according to the records.

At his Superior Court trial, he apparently argued that he used lawful force in self-defense during the hospital confrontation.

Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, Page allegedly stuffed a Seahawks sweatshirt into his backpack at the Rite Aid at 201 E. Broadway and walked out without paying, according to the statement of probable cause outlining the police case against him.

When he was confronted outside the store by a loss-prevention officer, Page is accused of pulling out a serrated knife wrapped in a white washcloth and jabbing the officer repeatedly in the head, the statement says.

The store employee suffered numerous superficial lacerations to his head, it says.

Page then allegedly dropped the knife, rag and sweatshirt and took off running toward Cal Anderson Park before a police officer found him hiding in a nearby stairwell, the statement says. Witnesses identified Page — who was wearing a Seahawks cap — as the man they had seen stabbing the loss-prevention officer, according to the statement.

Seattle Times news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654 or

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►