Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 3:03 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (11)
  • Print

$700 million lawsuit in Pendleton bus crash


Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
How did we get to a point where there is obviously no such thing as a accident. ... MORE
$600m of that is going to the lawyers. MORE
Going over the Blues is not a safety issue. IF you pay attention. Daydreaming, can get... MORE

advertising

PENDLETON, Ore. — A British Columbia lawyer representing 12 victims from a charter bus crash last year on Interstate 84 in Eastern Oregon has filed a lawsuit seeking $700 million.

The group is seeking a jury trial on accusations the bus driver was fatigued from long hours behind the wheel and drove too fast, and the tour operators were negligent, the East Oregonian (http://bit.ly/19j0NhV) reported.

The lawsuit also accused Oregon and the state Transportation Department of failing to make the stretch of I-84 through the Blue Mountains safe, such as by putting in barriers strong enough to keep the bus from going nearly 200 feet into a ravine.

Nine people were killed and 38 injured when the charter bus from Vancouver, British Columbia, crashed on Dec 30. It was on the final day of a Western tour.

The suit was filed Monday at the Umatilla County Courthouse by Scott Parks, attorney for the estates of two of the dead and for 10 of the survivors. Among those survivors is Choonja Moon, 53, wife of Seokmin Moon, 55, of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, who died along with Youmin Kim, 12, of South Korea.

Department of Transportation spokesman Dave Thompson said Thursday that the agency would have no comment on a lawsuit.

Mark P. Scheer, a lawyer for bus company Mi Joo Tour & Travel, did not immediately return a call for comment. He has previously said the driver had enough sleep, and he has blamed black ice for the accident.

Oregon and the agency are also plaintiffs in a separate, $10 million lawsuit filed by a survivor and the estates of three of the dead.

Mi Joo Tour & Travel is a defendant in that lawsuit. The federal Department of Transportation in January yanked the company’s registration to operate in the United States.

Umatilla County District Attorney Dan Primus has said he’s working with state and federal agencies and is still considering whether to seek charges in the crash.



News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

Meet the winemakers

Meet the winemakers

View video interviews, conducted by The Seattle Times wine writer Andy Perdue, profiling five of our state's top winemakers.

Advertising

Partner Video

Advertising


Advertising
The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►