Bail set at $500,000 for suspect in rape at Seattle park
The suspect, Coty Durand Kelly, was released from state prison last year after serving time for rape and assault in a Thurston County case.
Seattle Times staff reporters
Bail was set at $500,000 Monday for a convicted sex offender arrested for investigation of rape in the sexual assault of a woman at Seattle’s Myrtle Edwards Park on Sunday morning.
The suspect, Coty Durand Kelly, 25, was released last year after serving prison time in a Thurston County case. In that 2011 case, Kelly pleaded guilty to charges of third-degree rape, second-degree assault with strangulation and fourth-degree assault with sexual motivation, apparently involving two victims.
On Sunday, several people called 911 around 11:30 a.m. saying that a man was chasing people in the waterfront park.
Park rangers found the victim when they arrived. Officers talked to witnesses and found Kelly in a parking garage near the Seattle Art Museum Sculpture Park, police said.
The victim told police that Kelly ran from behind her, tackled her and sexually assaulted her, according to probable-cause documents filed Monday.
Before that, the woman told police, Kelly had urinated while talking to himself, prayed and moved his arms up and down, the documents say.
Kelly grabbed another woman walking by him, shook her and called her a racist before she ran away, according to the first woman’s account in the documents. The first woman said she then ran in an attempt to get away from Kelly as he yelled, the documents say.
Kelly told officers he wanted to remove racism from her, according to the documents. Witnesses identified Kelly as the assailant, the documents say.
At an initial court hearing Monday, Kelly waived his presence.
King County District Judge Mark Chow found probable cause to hold Kelly for investigation of second-degree rape and set bail, the King County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office said.
Kelly’s next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday while prosecutors decide on filing formal charges.
He already was wanted on a state Department of Corrections (DOC) warrant for failing to report to his community corrections officer. In addition, a no-bail felony warrant had been issued for him on Dec. 12 in Pierce County for failing to register as a sex offender in the 2011 case.
DOC spokesman Chad Lewis said Kelly was supposed to report July 2 and failed to do so. His GPS device and cellphone went dead about the same time, according to court documents.
Kelly had been under DOC supervision since being released from prison this past December.
News accounts from the 2011 case show that in early October of that year Kelly was accused of raping a 17-year-old girl at a bus stop and sexually assaulting a barista. He pleaded guilty to the multiple charges in 2012, court records show.
Steve Miletich: 206-464-3302 or email@example.com On Twitter @stevemiletich