Skip to main content

Originally published Wednesday, December 4, 2013 at 8:24 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (11)
  • Print

One suspect caught in two-day $648K wine warehouse heist

More than $600,000 worth of wine was stolen from the temperature-controlled storage lockers at Esquin Wine & Spirits in Sodo, police say.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
A bold crime with a hint of pretensIon. The finish had promises of explosive flavor... MORE
Still no hint at how they managed to get in without setting off the alarm. Says they... MORE
@ IArustic - Makes me wonder if the other suspect was an employee or if an employee... MORE


Two men accused of stealing more than $600,000 worth of high-end wine from a Seattle retailer and storage facility last week went to great lengths to cover up their heist, police say.

The two men entered Esquin Wine & Spirits in Sodo on Nov. 27 and spray-painted the lenses of surveillance cameras and disabled motion sensors by placing plastic bags over them, police said. Then, after stealing more than 200 cases of wine in nine separate trips the next day, they tampered with two gas lines, releasing gas into the building in an attempt to cause an explosion, police said.

However, police say the pair missed one camera, which captured images that led to the arrest Monday of one suspect, a 34-year-old Seattle man. He is being held in King County Jail in lieu of $250,000 bail on investigation of burglary and arson.

Seattle police said they are still looking for his accomplice — and the wine.

Dan Miller, a spokesman for Esquin Wine & Spirits, said Wednesday the company is offering $20,000 for information that leads to the “safe recovery of the wine.”

According to a police report, the break-in was discovered Friday when an Esquin building manager smelled gas and called 911. A utility worker with Puget Sound Energy (PSE) told police two gas lines had been intentionally damaged and a gas-powered heater had been lit.

A PSE employee told police that if the gas had reached the flame it could have caused a “massive explosion and fire.”

After reviewing security images, police determined the pair spent 13 hours carting off wine valued at $648,000.

They also learned the 34-year-old suspect had rented a storage unit using his correct name and address on Oct. 10, police said. When the suspect was arrested at his home, police said they found a list of wines, descriptions of them and correspondence with a San Francisco wine consultant.

Christine Clarridge can be reached at 206-464-8983 or

Times reporter Jennifer Sullivan and news researcher Miyoko Wolf contributed to this report.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►