Skip to main content

Originally published Monday, July 22, 2013 at 7:36 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (59)
  • Print

4-year-old boy accidentally shot himself; suspect surrenders

An autopsy conducted Monday on the body of a 4-year-old Sedro-Woolley boy revealed that the child accidentally shot himself early Sunday, and his death was not a homicide as police had earlier believed.

Seattle Times staff reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Yeah Anna Bee, thank God he's just a worthless loser who couldn't be bothered to... MORE
What is the deal with women and the losers they pick to bring into their young... MORE
Another sad story. 4 years old, and his life is over. MORE


The 4-year-old Sedro-Woolley boy whose death Sunday touched off an overnight manhunt accidentally shot himself and was not the victim of a homicide as authorities had earlier believed, police said Monday.

The subject of that manhunt, Trevor Braymiller, 25, surrendered peacefully to police Monday afternoon, a short time before police announced the child’s death was an accident, said Sedro-Woolley Police Chief Doug Wood.

Braymiller was questioned by detectives and “is looking at potentially serious criminal charges,” Wood said of Braymiller, who, as a felon, is barred from owning or possessing firearms.

“We have the same tragedy,” but the fact the boy died accidentally “does change things a bit,” Wood said.

The Skagit County Coroner’s Office has identified the boy as Dwayne Kerrigan. Attempts to contact his family on Monday were not successful.

Braymiller fled the residence in the 1000 block of Township Street immediately after the shooting Sunday morning and spent the night in hiding.

The shooting was initially reported as an accident, with police saying the boy died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

After a cursory examination of the boy’s body on Sunday by the Coroner’s Office, Wood reported that the boy’s death was being investigated as a homicide.

Police then announced they were searching for Braymiller. Wood characterized him at the time as dangerous and “probably desperate.”

However, after a more thorough examination of the boy during an autopsy Monday, “it was determined (the wound) was self-inflicted,” Wood said.

A call Monday to the Coroner’s Office was not returned.

Shortly after the shooting, Braymiller got a ride from the boy’s home and was dropped off in the Big Lake area of Skagit County.

By that afternoon, police had recovered the handgun believed to have been used in the shooting. A search dog found the gun near a small church less than a block from the residence, after police got a tip.

Police said Braymiller was recently released after a drug conviction.

Sara Jean Green: 206-515-5654, or

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►