Teenager ordered held in detention in attack
A juvenile court judge on Friday ordered a 14-year-old Puyallup boy to be held in detention on investigation of kidnapping, first-degree child rape and second-degree attempted murder in connection with the attack on a 7-year-old girl.
Seattle Times staff reporter
A Pierce County Juvenile Court judge agreed with prosecutors on Friday and ordered a 14-year-old Puyallup boy to be held in detention on investigation of kidnapping, first-degree child rape and second-degree attempted murder in connection with the attack on a 7-year-old girl.
The teen is suspected of brutally beating, choking and sexually assaulting the girl, who lives in his apartment complex, on Wednesday night, prosecutors said in probable-cause documents.
The girl required surgery to repair lacerations to her neck, but is reported to be in stable condition, court documents said. An examination showed evidence of sexual assault, court documents say.
Kevin Benton, chief deputy of the Pierce County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office juvenile division, said the teen will be formally charged and arraigned Tuesday.
According to the probable-cause document that outlines the police case against the teen, the victim had been missing for several hours when Puyallup police arrived at 10:30 p.m. at the complex in the 700 block of 43rd Avenue Southeast.
Neighbors, who had been searching for the child, reported finding a shoe a short distance off a trail into a nearby wooded area, prosecutors say.
The girl’s family confirmed the shoe belonged to the missing girl, and the second shoe was found by police a short time later, court documents say.
A bloodhound, brought in from another agency, led police to the girl, who was found about 35 yards from the second shoe, court documents say.
She was covered with dried blood and dirt, and her jeans were unbuttoned and pulled down in the back, police and prosecutors say.
She pointed to her throat, arms, face, head and stomach to indicate where she’d been hurt and told police the first name of her attacker, court documents say.
According to the document of probable cause, a search warrant was served on the boy’s residence shortly before 5 a.m. on Thursday.
Bloody clothes were found in a bag inside his room, police said. After the boy was taken into custody, police said, he initially denied harming the girl. Then, he told police he had taken the girl into the woods, but then said he left after she got a bloody nose, according to court documents.
The boy finally told police he took the girl into the woods to look at a bird’s nest, then became “annoyed” at her, flew into a rage and beat her, according to court documents.
The teen allegedly told police he knew he “had to get rid of her so she couldn’t tell anyone,” so he dragged her farther into the woods and choked her until she passed out, according to the probable-cause document.
Benton said he has not yet decided what charges the teen will face, or whether prosecutors will seek to charge him as an adult.
Christine Clarridge can be reached at email@example.com or 206-464-8983.