Skip to main content

Originally published May 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM | Page modified May 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (13)
  • Print

Corrected version

Police: Brother-in-law ‘heavily involved’ in disposal of Susan Powell’s body

As police in West Valley City, Utah, close the case into the disappearance of Susan Powell, they release new details from case files, among them that Josh Powell had an affair in the months before his wife vanished.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Buggery: First, both brothers are deceased. Josh used a hatchet on his kids and the... MORE
If the West Valley prosecutor had any balls, he would have arrested that creep Josh on... MORE
So we pretty much know what happened but can't find the body. It will probably be found... MORE


WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — For the first time, Utah police said Monday they believe Susan Powell’s brother-in-law was “heavily involved” in disposing of her body, even as they announced they couldn’t solve the sensational case of a mother’s disappearance after nearly 3½ years.

West Valley police said the focus shifted to Michael C. Powell after his brother, Josh Powell, killed the couple’s two boys and himself 15 months ago.

Police announced Monday they were closing the investigation of Susan Powell’s disappearance, citing a lack of leads coupled with Michael Powell’s suicide months ago. They also released the case file, which shows Josh Powell had an affair with a woman he met through a dating service.

The police file contains tens of thousands of pages of documents, photographs and video, interview notes and voice-mail messages.

In one file, police revealed they interviewed a West Valley City woman who said she made contact with Josh Powell on the dating service Live Links six or seven months before Susan disappeared. The woman, identified only as Kourtney in police files, said she knew Powell by the name John Staley and didn’t know he was married.

The woman said Powell gave her $800 over the course of their relationship — for reasons that weren’t detailed in reports — and she discerned his real identity only after news broke of Susan Powell’s disappearance.

Police said they based their suspicion of Michael Powell’s involvement partly on a car he left at an Oregon junkyard only weeks after Susan Powell vanished. The junkyard is 200 miles from a forest outside Salem, Ore., where police searched last week, looking for a body. The search turned up nothing.

Deputy West Valley Police Chief Mike Powell — no relation — said authorities believe that Josh Powell killed his wife and that his brother later got involved in a cover-up. Michael Powell had denied any wrongdoing.

It was last August that Utah police discovered Michael Powell’s Ford Taurus at the junkyard near Pendleton, Ore. DNA from the upholstery in the car’s trunk was inconclusive, they said.

The Powell brothers used sophisticated computer encryption to communicate, according to West Valley City Deputy Chief Phil Quinlan. Investigators have been unable to decipher that encrypted communication, he said.

Investigators said they focused on the brother last year, when Josh Powell changed his insurance policy to list Michael Powell as a primary beneficiary.

Michael Powell, an ardent supporter of Josh Powell, killed himself Feb. 11 by leaping from a parking garage in Minneapolis.

Authorities believe the brothers were responsible for Susan Powell’s disappearance, but as they said repeatedly Monday, they never had enough evidence to bring charges.

Susan Powell was reported missing more than three years ago after failing to show up for work. Her husband said he had taken the couple’s young boys on a midnight camping trip in freezing temperatures the night she was last seen.

Josh Powell eventually returned to the couple’s hometown of Puyallup, where he got caught up in a battle with Susan Powell’s parents for custody of the boys, 7-year-old Charlie and 5-year-old Braden.

On Feb. 5, 2012, he locked a social worker out of a rental home at the start of a supervised visit, attacked the boys with a hatchet and set the house afire. All three were killed in the blaze.

In an earlier version of this story published May 20, 2013, The Associated Press reported erroneously the day that Josh Powell committed suicide. It happened on Feb. 5, 2012.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►