Skip to main content

Originally published Friday, May 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Documents: Men had pact to kill each other's wives

Two men charged with murdering an Idaho woman who disappeared three years ago had a pact to kill each other's wives, according to court documents released in the case.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


BOISE, Idaho —

Two men charged with murdering an Idaho woman who disappeared three years ago had a pact to kill each other's wives, according to court documents released in the case.

Rachael Anderson, of Lewiston, was 40 when she disappeared in 2010. On Wednesday, her estranged husband, Charles Capone, of Clarkston, Wash., and David C. Stone, of Moscow, Idaho, were charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in 2nd District Court.

One of Stone's former co-workers at the city of Moscow, Christopher Porter, told law enforcement agents that Stone originally wanted him to kill his wife, Alisa Stone.

But Stone later called off that plan, after telling Porter that he and Capone had agreed to kill each other's wives, according to a probable cause motion that accompanies the charges. Latah County Sheriff's Department Corporal Tim Besst wrote that Porter told him Stone would have paid him $10,000 to kill his wife, who had a large life insurance policy.

"In early March, 2010, Stone contacted Porter and advised he no longer needed him to kill his wife," Besst wrote, citing his interview with Porter. "Stone said that he and Capone had come up with a plan to kill each other's wives."

Alisa Stone, wife of David Stone, didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment on Friday.

According to court documents, she confirmed to authorities that she had a life insurance policy.

Both Stone and Capone are being held in Latah County Jail.

Stone's lawyer, Ray Barker, has declined comment. Charles Kovis, Capone's public defender, wasn't available for comment Friday.

Anderson, a mother of four, disappeared April 16, 2010. She was last seen in Moscow.

Authorities now indicate that they believe Capone and Stone may have drugged, then killed Anderson before disposing of her body, which hasn't been found.

According to court documents, authorities are also relying on statements they say Capone made to other inmates while in jail on a federal weapons conviction in January 2013.

Brent Glass, an inmate in the Asotin County Jail in Clarkston earlier this year, told law enforcement agents on Jan. 15 that Capone became angry about being teased by other prisoners about Anderson and her whereabouts.

"Capone jumped up and walked away and Glass walked with him," according to the documents. "Capone said, `I buried the body so deep they'll never find it.' "

After completing his federal sentence in September, Capone had been in Asotin County Jail in Washington on a $1 million bond since Oct. 3 after being charged with domestic violence assault against Anderson in a case stemming from an incident before she went missing.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon



Celebrate that amazing NFC win with a poster or tee shirt featuring The Seattle Times Jan. 19 front page. Order now!


Partner Video


The Seattle Times

The door is closed, but it's not locked.

Take a minute to subscribe and continue to enjoy The Seattle Times for as little as 99 cents a week.

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►