Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Monday, April 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (3)
  • Print

Burkle drops out of Sacramento's bid to keep Kings

Billionaire Ron Burkle will not be part of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings after all.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
Anyone else find it funny how Burkle got used by KJ/Stern? The NBA knew about this a... MORE
Losing our team to OKC was a tragedy. Our leaders allowed this to happen. If Sacramento... MORE
Burkle was the frontman for the group before Ranadive came on board. Anyone who says... MORE

advertising

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

Billionaire Ron Burkle will not be part of Sacramento's bid to keep the Kings after all.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said Monday that a conflict of interest forced Burkle to back out. Instead, Johnson said the Southern California businessman and co-owner of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins will focus on the development around a proposed new downtown arena - and not the arena itself.

Burkle is part-owner of Relativity Sports, which manages some NBA players' careers. Johnson said the conflict surfaced during a meeting with NBA Commissioner David Stern and league owners in New York last week and "it won't slow us up."

Burkle had been expected to lead the development of a Sacramento arena. He also planned to join other wealthy investors trying to block a bid from a group that is hoping to buy and move the Kings to Seattle next season.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


Advertising
The Seattle Times

To keep reading, you need a subscription.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access. Subscribe now for unlimited access!

Subscription options ►

Already a subscriber?

We've got good news for you. Unlimited seattletimes.com content access is included with most subscriptions.

Subscriber login ►