Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Thursday, February 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM

  • Share:
             
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Snohomish County executive resigns during speech

Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon resigned Thursday at the end of his "state of the county" speech, saying his family has suffered enough from the political controversy surrounding his office.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

EVERETT, Wash. —

Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon resigned Thursday at the end of his "state of the county" speech, saying his family has suffered enough from the political controversy surrounding his office.

The embattled county leader, who is serving his third term in the elected office, said his last day will be May 31 because he wants to give the Democratic Party enough time to pick his replacement, The Daily Herald ( http://is.gd/ufsTry) reported.

On Wednesday, the County Council removed some authority from his office following accusations that his staff members have been harassing his political rivals.

Reardon is calling for an independent investigation.

The County Council took action after The Herald reported on documents filed with the Secretary of State's office linking two of Reardon's staff to attack Web pages, spoof email addresses and a series of public records requests under an assumed name.

Whatever investigators find, the conduct described in the news stories is "reprehensible and casts a shadow over county government," said Councilman John Koster, the lone Republican on the council. "It is disturbing that this sort of behavior was allowed to occur right under Mr. Reardon's nose."

The council and Prosecuting Attorney Mark Roe also have called for an outside investigation.

"It is incumbent on the council to ensure that all county records are appropriately maintained and kept available for investigative and legal purposes," the council said in a statement.

Reardon released a statement Wednesday criticizing the council's action, saying it was legal for his staff member to request the records.

"The highly unusual step taken today creates a distraction from county business while raising serious questions about council's intentions," the statement said.

Reardon was the subject of a six-month investigation by the State Patrol, which was completed last year with no charges filed. The investigation revealed that Reardon had an affair with a county employee and may have used county resources and time to campaign for re-election.

The council previously called for his resignation.

---

Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldnet.com

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon


Advertising