Skip to main content

Originally published January 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM | Page modified January 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (48)
  • Print

Detective punched, prosecutor kicked in courthouse fight

A gang detective for Seattle police was punched and bitten and a deputy prosecutor was kicked during a melee Monday outside a King County courtroom in Kent, according to police.

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No loonie here. I'm just trying to get my mind around the type of personality who... MORE
gg56 I completely agree with you. How about a national registry of gangbangers/hood... MORE
I never understand why gangs are not busted on RICO. MORE


A Seattle police gang detective was punched and bitten during a fight Monday outside a courtroom at the Norm Maleng Regional Justice Center in Kent that was captured by security cameras, according to Kent police.

A 25-year-old Renton man was arrested in connection with the fight, in which a King County deputy prosecutor also was kicked in the chest, said Kent Assistant Police Chief Pat Lowery.

According to court records, Robert Isabel, 26, of Seattle, is on trial before King County Superior Court Judge Mariane Spearman over a January 2012 drive-by shooting in Seattle's Central District.

A number of people connected with Isabel showed up in court on Monday and behaved in a manner that was apparently meant to intimidate the victim and witnesses in the case, Lowery said. After being warned by the judge, "the behavior picked up again" as people flowed out of the courtroom for morning recess, he said.

The gang detective saw what was going on and attempted to separate Isabel's supporters from others attending the trial, Lowery said. The Renton man got into an argument with the detective, then grabbed his shirt, he said.

The plainclothes detective was punched in the face and chest, and suffered a bite to his forearm, Lowery said.

A deputy prosecutor involved in the trial came to the detective's aid and was kicked in the chest, which knocked the wind out of him, but he was otherwise unhurt, said Lowery.

Jail security officers were able to get control of the suspect, who was treated at Valley Medical Center for a cut to his face before being booked into the Kent Jail, according to Lowery.

The fight took place in a third-floor foyer and was captured by surveillance cameras, Lowery said.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon