Skip to main content

Originally published Monday, December 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Officials confirm Alaska suspect killed Vt. couple

A man who committed suicide in an Alaska jail killed a Vermont couple missing since last year, authorities confirmed Monday.

Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >



A man who committed suicide in an Alaska jail killed a Vermont couple missing since last year, authorities confirmed Monday.

Officials said at a news conference in Vermont on Monday afternoon that Israel Keyes, 34, provided details about the abduction of Bill and Lorraine Currier that authorities had not released to the public.

Keyes was to stand trial in March in Anchorage federal court for the slaying of an 18-year-old woman abducted from a coffee kiosk in the city in February. He was later arrested in Texas after using her debit card. Keyes may also be linked to five other deaths and robberies around the country, authorities said.

Keyes told police that he broke into the Currier home on June 8, 2011, went into their bedroom, bound them with zip ties and forced them into their car. He then drove them to an abandoned house in Essex, where both Curriers tried to escape, said Chittenden County state's attorney T.J. Donovan.

He ran down and tackled Lorraine Currier as she tried to flee, authorities said.

He shot Bill Currier with the gun he had stolen from the couple's home and sexually assaulted and strangled Lorraine Currier, Donovan said.

Lorraine Currier's purse was later found to be missing from the home. Authorities in Vermont said he had left Alaska intending to kill someone.

"They fought to the end," Donovan said, adding that they showed "extraordinary bravery and love for each other."

The house was torn down and the debris taken to a landfill. The Curriers' bodies have never been found.

Keyes told investigators he would stop talking to police if his name was released publicly in the Currier case. Police said that after the killings, Keyes left the Curriers' car in a parking lot and drove his rental car to Maine. He then returned to Vermont and noticed the crime scene tape around the Currier home. Keyes told police that he left Vermont and continued to follow the Currier case through the Vermont press.

Essex Police Lt. George Murtie, who interviewed Keyes about the Curriers' killing, described his demeanor as "very calm" with "no display of emotion."

Authorities said they may never know the full extent of Keyes' crimes because he parsed out only a little information at a time, withholding names and locations of most of his victims.

Keyes, 34, also indicated he killed four others in Washington state and one person in New York state but didn't give the victims' names, authorities said. He also confessed to bank robberies in New York and Texas.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times Historical Archives

Browse our newspaper page archives from 1900-1984