Skip to main content

Originally published Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 8:56 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (32)
  • Print

Snowboarders credit willpower after they're rescued at Rainier

A pair of snowboarders who spent two nights on Mount Rainier after getting trapped in a blizzard Sunday hiked off the volcano in snowshoes Tuesday — hungry, cold but apparently uninjured.

Seattle Times environment reporter

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
What's the story on all the multiple posts the last few days? Is it the ST site or... MORE
I'm glad to see they are alright. I get tired of reading negative comments from people... MORE


A pair of snowboarders who spent two nights on Mount Rainier after getting trapped in a blizzard Sunday hiked off the volcano in snowshoes Tuesday — hungry, cold but uninjured.

Derek Tyndall 21, and Thomas Dale, 20, made it down to Paradise about 3:30 p.m.

"I think they are on their way to the National Park Inn to order the biggest meal of their lives," Mount Rainier National Park spokesman Kevin Bacher said Tuesday afternoon, shortly after the men were reunited with their families.

The two snowboarders — Tyndall, of Sumner, and Dale, of Indiana — were carving turns below Camp Muir Sunday afternoon when a heavy storm forced them to halt their descent. They did not have overnight gear or extra food, save a few crackers, but immediately began preparing to hunker down for the night.

"They are extraordinarily fortunate," Bacher said. "This is a case where something went wrong, but from that point on they did everything right. They didn't compound the situation by making poor decisions."

The first night, the two boarders called 911 and found a snow cave near a freshwater spring not far from the southern end of the Paradise Glacier. They used their snowboards to block its entrance and keep 70 mph winds at bay through the night.

On Monday, rescuers thought the men might have wandered from their initial location to keep warm. Searchers had tracked the pair as best they could by triangulating the ping off a cell tower from their emergency call.

Hampered by snow that was at times chest high, the rescuers didn't spot the boarders until right at sunset Monday, a half-mile across a ravine. But then darkness descended and intermittent clouds returned and searchers lost sight of the boarders again.

The two managed to sit tight for a second night.

"It was just a matter of that willpower and wanting to survive, finding that thing to look forward to really kept me going," Dale told KING 5.

"The first night we were pretty good because we were in the crevasse-cave thing," Tyndall said. "The second night was a little bit more difficult."

The boarders built a new snow cave, nibbled on their remaining Ritz crackers and waited.

The rescuers reached them around midmorning Tuesday and gave them warm liquids and dry clothing, said park spokeswoman Lee Snook.

Rescuers also gave the men extra snowshoes, and the two walked out under their own power.

Craig Welch: 206-464-2093 or On Twitter @craigawelch. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times Historical Archives

Browse our newspaper page archives from 1900-1984

Career Center Blog

Career Center Blog

Looking for joy on the job