Skip to main content

Originally published Saturday, November 10, 2012 at 12:42 AM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Relatives of victims recount details of massacre

A relative of some of the victims killed in a massacre in southern Afghanistan last March testified at a hearing for the U.S. soldier accused in the attack about finding their bodies piled together and burned.

Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >



A relative of some of the victims killed in a massacre in southern Afghanistan last March testified at a hearing for the U.S. soldier accused in the attack about finding their bodies piled together and burned.

Speaking through an interpreter in a live video feed from Kandahar, Afghanistan, Khamal Adin sat at the witness table with his arms folded, his head tilted to the left, as he recounted what he had seen.

In a military courtroom half a world away, the defendant, Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, rose from his chair at the defense table and moved to a seat closest to the video screen that played Adin's testimony. He gave no discernible reaction to the story he heard.

After Adin concluded his testimony, the Afghan offered his thanks, adding: "My request is to get justice."

The Army says Bales went on a rampage in two villages near his base on March 11, killing seven adults and nine children. Bales, 39, could face the death penalty if he is convicted.

On the morning after the killings, Adin said, he arrived at a compound belonging to his cousin, Mohammed Wazir. Wazir had been away on a trip, and he found Wazir's mother lying dead in a doorway, a gunshot to her head.

Further inside, Adin said, he found the bodies of six of his cousin's seven children, the man's wife, and other relatives. The fire that burned the bodies was out, but Adin said he could smell smoke.

The video feed was shown in a military courtroom at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, outside Seattle, as part of a preliminary hearing to help determine whether Bales should face a court-martial.

On the video, Adin, who had a beard and was wearing a turban, was asked if he could testify that he personally saw the bodies. He answered: "Yes, I have seen each individual and took them out by myself."

Asked to describe the injuries, he said: "Everybody was shot on the head. ... I didn't pay attention to the rest of the wounds."

With the bodies quickly buried and no forensic evidence available from them, prosecutors need such testimony to prove the killings occurred.

Another witness, Faizullah, testified about rushing to his father's home to find his father with a gunshot wound to the throat. Faizullah's brother and sister were also wounded, as were two neighbor siblings.

Faizullah said he loaded them into a car, using a blanket to lift some of them. They were treated at a nearby base, then flown to a bigger military hospital in Kandahar. All five survived, and Faizullah's father and brother were scheduled to testify early Saturday morning.

Earlier, two Afghan National Army guards recounted what they had seen in the pre-dawn darkness outside the base the night of the killings.

One guard recounted that a man had arrived at the base and did not stop even after he asked him three times to do so. Later in the night, the second guard said, he saw a soldier leave the base - laughing as he went.

The guards did not say the soldier was the same person nor did they identify the man as Bales.

Prosecutors say Bales broke his shooting rampage into two episodes, attacking one village, returning to the base and then departing again to raid another.

Dressed in green fatigues, the first guard, named Nematullah, testified that he had told the man who arrived around 1:30 a.m. to stop. The guard said the man came toward him, said "how are you" in an Afghan language and went inside the base.

Under cross-examination from Bales' attorney, John Henry Browne, who traveled to Afghanistan to question the witnesses, the guard said he saw the man but could not identify him.

Browne pressed further, asking if the guard could describe the soldier at all. The guard said he was white and well built, but those were the only details he could provide.

Nematullah also said the soldier was coming from the north, which is the direction of a village that prosecutors say Bales attacked first in the nighttime rampage March 11.

Later, a second guard, Tosh Ali, said he replaced Nematullah and saw an American leaving the base around 2:30 a.m. The man greeted Ali as well with "how are you" in an Afghan language, and was laughing as he walked away.

Bales, an Ohio native and father of two from Lake Tapps, Wash., faces 16 counts of premeditated murder and six counts of attempted murder in the attack.

Prosecutors say that Bales wore a T-shirt, cape and night-vision goggles - no body armor - when he slipped away from his remote post, Camp Belambay.

In between his attacks, he woke a fellow soldier, reported what he'd done and said he was headed out to kill more, the soldier testified. But the soldier didn't believe what Bales said, and went back to sleep.


Johnson can be reached at

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon