Skip to main content
Advertising

Originally published Sunday, October 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

  • Share:
           
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Man busted for pot dies in Snohomish Co. jail

A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in the Snohomish County jail after a pot bust, and now his mother says she wants to know why.

The Associated Press

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >

advertising

EVERETT, Wash. —

A 22-year-old man with severe food allergies died in the Snohomish County jail after a pot bust, and now his mother says she wants to know why.

The Herald newspaper of Everett and KIRO-TV of Seattle report that Michael Saffioti died a day after turning himself in to face a misdemeanor marijuana charge on July 2.

Saffioti's mother, Rose Saffioti, says her son brought along a bag of medications needed to control his allergies and asthma, and he had expected to be placed in the jail's medical unit. Instead, he was placed in the general population.

Rose Saffioti says she has spoken with other inmates who were there, and the cause might have been what he was served for breakfast. The medical examiner's office determined on Thursday that he died from bronchial asthma brought on by his milk allergy.

Saffioti has hired Seattle attorney Anne Bremner to pursue the case. The sheriff's office says it's still investigating.

---

Information from: The Daily Herald, http://www.heraldnet.com

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon

The Seattle Times photographs

Seattle space needle and mountains

Purchase The Seattle Times images


Advertising