Skip to main content

Originally published Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 8:31 PM

  • Share:
  • Comments (0)
  • Print

Corrected version

Around the Northwest

With weather conditions deteriorating and darkness looming, rescuers concluded their search Sunday for four overdue climbers and campers...

Most Popular Comments
Hide / Show comments
No comments have been posted to this article.
Start the conversation >


Mount Rainier

No sign of four

who are overdue

With weather conditions deteriorating and darkness looming, rescuers concluded their search Sunday for four overdue climbers and campers on Mount Rainier. Park spokeswoman Patti Wold said the search will resume Monday. Searchers found no signs of the parties, she said, but "we're optimistic, so we'll keep searching."

She said an Army Reserve Chinook helicopter got into the air briefly Sunday morning to help but poor visibility led it to return. She was hopeful an aerial search can be conducted Monday.

Officials say the two groups are equipped for camping in winter weather and hope they have dug in to wait out the storm. They were expected off the mountain on Jan. 15 or 16.

The missing campers are 37-year-old Mark Vucich, of San Diego, and 30-year-old Michelle Trojanowski, of Atlanta. The climbers were identified as 52-year-old Sork "Erik" Yang, of Springfield, Ore., and Seol Hee Jin, of Korea.

West Seattle

Suspect arrested

in shooting

Seattle police have arrested a man they believe shot a 36-year-old man four times in West Seattle on Saturday night.

Officers responded at 9:45 p.m. to reports of shots fired in the 6500 block of California Avenue Southwest, near Morgan Junction Park. The victim, who reportedly was shot four times in the chest, drove himself to a nursing home in the 4800 block of 35th Avenue Southwest, where police found him.

Patrol officers obtained an address for the suspect, arrested him and booked him into King County Jail for investigation of assault.

The victim remains in a hospital with injuries that police described as life-threatening.


Use of generator

leads to house fire

A Kent home without electricity since Wednesday was damaged early Sunday in a fire that investigators believe was caused by the hot exhaust gases of a portable generator.

The fire occurred in the 27500 block of 118th Avenue Southeast, in the East Hill area of Kent.

The home's owner said the family had been using a portable generator in the yard to power the home since Wednesday, when they lost electricity because of the winter storms.

A little before 5 a.m., the homeowner heard a "pop" outside and found a shed, about 10 feet from the house, engulfed in flames. The heat caused the house's vinyl siding to melt, so the family evacuated and called for help.

Kent firefighters say they were able to quickly put out the fire. Damage was estimated at $14,000, and no injuries were reported.

The fire was ruled accidental, with the cause determined to be combustible items too close to the generator's exhaust.

Times staff and news services

Information in this article, originally published Jan. 22, 2012 was corrected Jan. 23, 2012. A previous version of this story said the generator blamed for a fire that damaged a home in Kent was inside a shed. The generator was not inside a shed, it was in the yard.

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon