Advertising

Originally published Thursday, November 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Seattle Archdiocese accused of not stopping abuse

Seven men have sued the Archdiocese of Seattle, saying it and a Catholic order didn't stop two clergymen from abusing them at a high school and church-run orphanage from the 1950s into the 1970s.

The Associated Press

quotes Everyone one attending the school in the late 50's and early 60's knew Kealy was... Read more

advertising

SEATTLE —

Seven men have sued the Archdiocese of Seattle, saying it and a Catholic order didn't stop two clergymen from abusing them at a high school and church-run orphanage from the 1950s into the 1970s.

Edward Courtney and G.A. Kealy are named in the lawsuits filed Wednesday in King County and were members of the Christian Brothers Catholic order, which is in bankruptcy because of multiple sexual abuse claims.

The archdiocese has paid about $48 million in settlements, counseling and attorney fees for sexual-abuse complaints by more than 300 people, according to the archdiocese. All the abuse happened before 1985.

Courtney and Kealy worked at O'Dea High School in Seattle. The archdiocese knew of abuse allegations against the pair but allowed them to continue to work with children, according to an attorney for the men.

Michael Patterson, an attorney for the archdiocese, said those claims are false.

Courtney is accused of being a prolific abuser, with at least 26 victims represented by Seattle attorney Michael Pfau, who also represents the seven new claimants. Six of those accuse Kealy; one accuses Courtney.

Pfau said Courtney is retired and splits his time between Burien and Hawaii. Kealy died in 1996.

Patterson said it's likely the latest legal action would be merged with the ongoing bankruptcy claim filed by the Christian Brothers earlier this year in New York. An attorney for Christian Brothers declined to comment.

---

Information from: The Seattle Times, http://www.seattletimes.com

News where, when and how you want it

Email Icon




Advertising