Learn more about the dams and restoration of the Elwha River
A list of websites, books and more.
• www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/elwha-ecosystem-restoration.htm (All the regulatory documents pertaining to dam removal as well as the underlying law are available on this site.)
• "Across the Olympic Mountains: The Press Expedition, 1889-90," by Robert L. Wood, 1967, University of Washington Press
• "Men, Mules and Mountains: Lieutenant O'Neil's Olympic Expeditions," by Robert L. Wood, 1976, The Mountaineers
• "Mountain in the Clouds: A Search for the Wild Salmon," by Bruce Brown. 1995 University of Washington Press edition is illustrated.
• "Conquering the Last Frontier," by Thomas Aldwell, 1950, American Book-Knickerbocker Press
• "Breaking Ground: The Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe and the Unearthing of Tse-whit-zen Village," by Lynda V. Mapes, 2009, University of Washington Press
• "An Interpretive History of the Elwha River Valley and the Legacy of Hydropower on Washington's Olympic Peninsula," by Paul Sadin and Dawn Vogel, Historical Research Associates, 2011, report submitted to National Park Service.
"Special Issue, Dam Removal and Ecosystem Restoration in the Elwha River Watershed," Northwest Science, Volume 82, 2008, by Northwest Scientific Association
Also available online at www.nps.gov/olym/naturescience/elwha-ecosystem-restoration.htm, under the documents tab.
The Seattle Times Co. and Mountaineers Press will publish a book-length version of this special section in September 2012.
Trending on seattletimes.com
Most viewed photo galleries
The Morning Memo
The Morning Memo jump starts your day with weather, traffic and news
Career Center Blog
Sign up for our newsletter
Receive weekly recipes, cooking tips and news in your inbox!