Seven Seattle sites suggested for homeless camp
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn's staff has suggested seven city-owned sites for a homeless encampment of 100 or 150 people. Two sites are in Sodo, two are in West Seattle and the three remaining sites are in Interbay, Magnolia and near Northwest Hospital in North Seattle.
Seattle Times staff reporter
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn's staff has suggested seven city-owned sites for a homeless encampment of 100 or 150 people after a citizens-panel recommendation Monday.
The mayor's staff sent panel members aerial photographs of two sites in the Sodo industrial area, one site in West Seattle, one in Delridge, one in Interbay, one in Magnolia and one near Northwest Hospital in North Seattle.
The mayor's office hasn't said whether it supports the panel's recommendation for a permanent encampment site on city property but said it's worth considering.
The committee — which was charged with advising the city on homeless encampments — agreed Monday to give feedback to the mayor about available sites.
• The Interbay substation at 3222 17th Ave W.;
• The median of Industrial Way South at South Adams Street in Sodo;
• A grassy berm in West Seattle near Camp Long at 35th Avenue South and Southwest Edmunds Street;
• City sign-shop property at Airport Way South and South Snoqualmie Street in Sodo;
• The north end of the temporary playfield area at Smith Cove in Magnolia;
• The Delridge substation;
• City property off Stone Avenue North between Northwest Hospital and Aurora Avenue North.
A mayor's office spokesman said the sites match criteria set by the 10-member, mayor-appointed panel in recommendations this week.
The committee, made up of advocates for the homeless, said the encampment should have access to a bus stop, adequate hygiene facilities, trash removal, electricity and running water, and facilities for food preparation.
With the weather turning colder, members of the panel urged city officials to find a permanent site quickly. Two large encampments are on church property, but they have to move regularly.
Emily Heffter: 206-464-8246 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Furniture & home furnishings
cendejas and Ryan vs. Taisey
Estate Sale Lladro Porcelain
Great Pyrenees/Old English Sheepdog Puppies
POST A FREE LISTING