Water from firefighting efforts damages artifacts in Everett
No one was injured, but a blaze that broke out at a historic building in Everett Sunday resulted in damage to some artifacts in storage...
The Associated Press
EVERETT — No one was injured, but a blaze that broke out at a historic building in Everett Sunday resulted in damage to some artifacts in storage by water from firefighting efforts.
The fire started about 1 p.m. during work on the 40,000-square-foot building (at 2815 Baker Avenue).
The building houses, among other things, storage space for artifacts from the Museum of Snohomish County History. The museum recently closed its doors.
The museum artifacts were in the basement.
The extent of damage to the museum's collection, including documents and photographs, wasn't immediately clear. Water used to fight the flames on the second floor leaked into the basement.
The fire apparently was caused by sparks from equipment during work on the building.
Seattle Times transportation reporter Mike Lindblom describes some of the factors that may have led to the collapse of the I-5 bridge over the Skagit River in Mount Vernon on Thursday, May 23.