|Traffic | Weather | Your account||Movies | Restaurants | Today's events|
Landmarks across King County
The King County Historic Preservation Program has helped to landmark and preserve dozens of properties across unincorporated King County, and in cities that have signed an agreement with the county. Here are a handful of those lesser-known landmarks across the county:
Great Northern Depot in Skykomish (early 1890s). Constructed from standard Great Northern plans for rural train stations, this building is one of only a handful of wood-frame Great Northern depots still standing in the state. Passenger service ended in the 1950s, and the depot now is used to support railroad maintenance work in the Skykomish area. Location: southeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Fourth Street.
Colvos Store on Vashon Island (1923). This small, one-story store became the focal point for the Scandinavian community of Colvos. Now it's a residence. Location: 123rd Avenue Southwest and Cove Road.
King County Historic Preservation Program: http://www.metrokc.gov/exec/bred/hpp/index.htm
The Red Brick/James Mattson Road in the Redmond area (1865). The Mattson Road contains the longest stretch of exposed historic red-brick highway in King County. First developed as a road, it later became the northern route between Seattle and Snoqualmie Pass; it was paved in 1913 with red bricks manufactured in Renton. Location: 196th Avenue Northeast between Union Hill Road and Redmond-Fall City Road.
The Vincent School House in Carnation (1905). About 20 students at a time attended this school, which educated many of the pioneer families in the Snoqualmie Valley. The school closed in 1942, but the Vincent Community Club still uses the building for community events. Location: 8010 W. Snoqualmie Valley Road N.E.
Fall City Masonic Hall in Fall City (1895). The lodge provided a place to meet and socialize for members who lived and worked in Snoqualmie Valley's isolated farms or logging camps. Location: 33700 S.E. 43rd St.
Miners' Cabin in Black Diamond (1910) . Few of these simple wood-frame houses remain from the days of Black Diamond's coal mines. Location: 24311 Morgan St.
Source: King County Historic Preservation Program
Copyright © 2006 The Seattle Times Company