Guess who's been coming to dinner?
It's time to play my favorite game, which I just invented: Dining with the Stars! Or: An excuse to devote an entire column to celebrity...
Seattle Times columnist
It's time to play my favorite game, which I just invented: Dining with the Stars! Or: An excuse to devote an entire column to celebrity sightings. Why not? So put on your flashiest sequined outfit and take a tour with me through our local dining scene as we highlight the best in recent memory:
• Julia Roberts eating "copious amounts of food" and raving about the lasagna at The Pink Door ... Tom Waits dining under The Pink Door's trapeze and inquiring about its backstory ... Lily Allen and five friends dining late-night on The Pink Door's deck. The night was chilly, so owner Jackie Roberts offered the group jackets and shirts from the wait staff. Lily wore an old flannel shirt Jackie keeps in her office for gardening on the herb deck.
• Jessica Biel having ahi tuna tacos and martinis at Joeys Lake Union with her sister and a friend ... Paul Newman eating a slice of coconut cream pie at Etta's ... Molly Ringwald requesting a window seat at Dahlia Lounge ... Van Morrison reserving a booth at Lola's to be available at any time for a week.
• Al Gore at Waterfront Seafood Grill, where someone joked that the wine he was drinking, The Darkness Syrah, was named after the current political regime.
• Bill Gates sightings: with Bono at Campagne ... with Bill Clinton at Troiani ... with wife Melinda at Joeys Bellevue ... with Paul Allen at the Met.
• Lyle Lovett, K.D. Lang, Diana Krall and Elvis Costello on separate occasions at Barking Frog at Willows Lodge in Woodinville. Best time to spot celebrities there, of course, is during the concert series at Chateau Ste Michelle across the street.
• Adrock (aka Adam Horvitz) of the Beastie Boys having the restaurant's signature "urban bites" at BOKA ... Isabella Rossellini dining at Palace Kitchen ... Anthony Hopkins having halibut at Troiani ... Kid Rock at the Bookstore Bar at the Alexis Hotel.
• Celebrity chefs love Union: Michael Pollan, Michel Richard, Rick Bayless, Marco Pierre White and Anthony Bourdain have all stopped by Ethan Stowell's downtown Seattle restaurant while in town.
• They're still talking about the time Ron Wood and Eddie Vedder stopped by for dinner at Queen City Grill, prompting a flurry of phone calls and text messages from fellow diners about "rock stars at the Queen." Ron Wood's drink of choice: ginger ale.
• Pink posing for photographs at Tulio ... Sean Penn at Sazerac ... Eric Clapton having lunch at Elliott's Oyster House ... Tony Parker and Eva Longoria dining at Canlis ... Drew Barrymore at Frontier Room ... Loni Anderson drinking champagne cocktails at Tulio.
• Coach Mike Holmgren getting a standing ovation from the entire dining room at the Met when he arrived with his family for dinner following last week's victory over the Washington Redskins. They did the same thing when he left.
Pamela Sitt: 206-464-2376 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2008 The Seattle Times Company
Sam and Sara Lucchese create handmade pasta out of their kitchen-garage adjacent to their Ballard home. Here, they illustrate the final steps in making pappardelle pasta.