USC seeks probation relief from NCAA
USC athletic director Pat Haden said he has spoken with NCAA president Mark Emmert about the possibility of providing some relief from the sanctions that have been weighing down the program since 2010.
The Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — USC hasn’t given up hope the NCAA will lighten up on the heavy sanctions that have weighed down the program for more than three years.
Athletic director Pat Haden spoke with NCAA president Mark Emmert this week about the possibility of re-evaluating the Trojans’ penalties. During a previously scheduled meeting on other topics, Haden said he “argued for some consideration regarding the 2010 sanctions during the last year of our penalty.”
Haden said he felt compelled to have the discussion in light of the NCAA’s recent decision to lessen the scholarship reductions levied last year against Penn State after the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
“As I have stated on numerous occasions, I believe the penalties imposed on our football program in 2010 were unprecedented and inconsistent with NCAA precedent in prior cases,” Haden said. “I also believe the sanctions have resulted in unintended consequences both for our football program and our student-athletes.”
Coach Lane Kiffin praised Haden’s effort for attempting to lighten the burden of losing 30 scholarships over a three-year period. USC faces one more year of scholarship restrictions, with a limit of 75 scholarship players instead of the usual 85.
Three more Trojans were declared out for the season with injuries: cornerback Devian Shelton (foot), offensive tackle Zach Banner (hip) and defensive end Greg Townsend Jr. (knee).
Two of the three targets of a high-profile lawsuit seeking payment for student-athletes settled the closely watched case Thursday, leaving the NCAA as the lone remaining defendant.
The terms of the settlement between the athletes and two of their targets, EA Sports and the Collegiate Licensing Co., were not disclosed in a federal court filing in Oakland, Calif.
The lawsuit, which was filed by former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon, could have broad implications for the future of college athletics, opening the possibility that student-athletes could share in the profits of big-time university sports.
Just before the settlement was announced, EA Sports said it would not publish its college football video game in 2014.
• Arkansas coach Bret Bielema said quarterback Brandon Allen (shoulder) remains questionable for the Razorbacks’ game Saturday against Texas A&M.
• Florida State starting safety Tyler Hunter (neck) will be held out of Saturday’s Atlantic Coast Conference game against Boston College.
• West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen said Clint Trickett will start at quarterback against No. 11 Oklahoma State in place of the injured Ford Childress (chest).
• Atlanta said it will bid for college football’s 2018 national-championship game, which would be held in its new downtown retractable roof stadium.
• A lawsuit against the NCAA by the family of late Penn State coach Joe Paterno and others is fatally flawed and should be thrown out, the organization said in a court filing in Harrisburg, Pa.