UW’s Jonathan Sanders wins medalist honors at Bandon Dunes
Sophomore Jonathan Sanders won medalist honors and No. 16 Washington finished third at the Bandon (Ore.) Dunes men’s golf tournament Tuesday.
Sanders finished at 3-under 210, one shot ahead of the field.
“I am super excited for Jonathan,” said coach Matt Thurmond. “It was a huge tournament for him. His game really suits this course, and he came and prepared and played well.”
Sanders fired a round of 1-over 72 to hang on for a one-shot lead over Matt Hansen of UC Davis. Washington finished at 18-over 870. The Huskies shot a 5-over 289 in the final round to finish seven strokes behind winner Missouri.
Gonzaga senior Peter Gullickson shot a final-round 72 to finish tied for seventh overall (217) and help the host Bulldogs climb into a tie for 10th with Washington State at 51-over 903.
The Cougars carded a 15-over 299 in the final round of play on the par-71 Pacific Dunes Course.
Mike Aviani scored two goals, including the go-ahead goal, as the Spokane Chiefs earned a 6-4 victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds at Kent’s ShoWare Center.
• A Washington State football player has been arrested in connection with a campus fight in which two people were struck.
Campus police say Daquawn Brown was arrested last Friday on two counts of assault for fights that occurred in the student union building the previous weekend. He is accused of striking a man and a woman during an argument.
Campus police say the 18-year-old Brown is not in custody.
The cornerback played in every game as a freshman last season, recording 50 tackles and two interceptions.
• Portland used a five-run fifth inning for a 6-0 victory over Seattle U (6-11) at Bellevue’s Bannerwood Park.
• For the second straight day, Simpson University swept a doubleheader from Northwest University (19-3), taking the first game 6-1 and the second 10-3.
• The Seattle U men’s golf team matched its first-round score in Tuesday’s third round to stay in 11th place at the Lamkin Grips San Diego Classic at the San Diego Country Club. The Redhawks shot rounds of 304,312 and 304 for a 56-over 920. USC won at 12-under 852.
• Washington State and Gonzaga are tied for sixth at 28-over 604 after two rounds of the Dr. Donnis Thompson Invitational at Kaneohe, Hawaii. Washington State’s Mallory Kent and Gonzaga’s Han Wu are tied for 10th at 5-over 149.
From wire and