The ferry Tacoma gets towed on July 29 after an electrical failure left it adrift. This incident was one of several problems to hit the Washington State Ferries this summer, prompting lawmakers to discuss how to fix the ferry system.
The four-day closure of Highway 99 in Seattle will bring big slowdowns into and out of downtown, especially for detoured buses. Metro Transit is telling riders to consider alternate forms of transportation.
UPDATE - 11:23 PM
Extremists behead U.S. journalist, threaten to kill second captive
James Foley, a freelance photojournalist, was taken prisoner in northwest Syria in November 2012 while on assignment for the Global Post. Islamic State posted a video threatening another execution if the U.S. doesn't pull back.
- Ballmer’s sole role at Microsoft now is investor
- Federal autopsy will show Brown was shot 6 times, source says
- U.S. judge grants Seattle police more time to meet key reform
- Skyway slaying linked to suspect in 2 Seattle killings
- Seattle no place to look for a Ferguson solution | Danny Westneat
- Bainbridge protester comes down from tree after sit-in
- UPDATE - 10:35 PM Phillies find out how special Hisashi Iwakuma is as M's post 5-2 win
UPDATE - 10:06 PM Poor, isolated apartments in Ferguson a tinderbox for crime | Close-up
UPDATE - 11:25 PM Israel, Gaza militants trade fire after talks fail
UPDATE - 11:16 PM Texas' Perry smiles for mug shot, gets ice cream
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 11:01 PM Obituary: Seattle television and arts writer John Voorhees
Failure to provide them proper and timely care is a serious breach of social responsibility that touches all of us.Cassandra Ando, guest column: "How to help patients after the end of psychiatric boarding"
- Editorial: Innovation would be stifled under FCC’s plans
- Editorial: The Times recommends Reps. Steve Bergquist and Zack Hudgins in 11th District
- Mikado, yellowface debate at Seattle Repertory Theatre forum
- Guest: Enforce state’s mental-health parity law