ABOVE: Trae Hanan, 7, feels the baby in his mom Krista Hanan’s belly during her appointment with Dr. Rob Epstein, of Family Medicine of Port Angeles. “If you're not a kid or not pregnant, there are pretty much no physicians taking patients,” Epstein says of the provider shortage in his area.
LEFT: Dr. Epstein walks down a clinic hall. Doctors at Family Medicine are seeing as many as 25 patients a day. The solution, he said, is better recruitment of rural doctors.
UPDATE - 10:28 AM
ISIS video purports to show beheading of another American journalist
Steven Sotloff also appeared in a video released last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.
- Japan hangs onto goal of predicting earthquakes
- 5 more Seattle schools get cameras to spot speeders
- UPDATE - 08:56 AM Warmest July-August on record in Seattle
- UPDATE - 10:29 AM Politico founder to be Washington Post publisher, Bezos announces
- 3 Americans detained in North Korea plead for help
- UPDATE - 10:10 AM Inquiries begin into nude celebrity photo leaks from Apple's iCloud
- Suspension over, Huskies QB Miles gets nod to start
- UPDATE - 10:14 AM True grit: Thomas, Maxwell and what might be ‘key ingredient’ for Hawks
UPDATE - 10:25 AM Demonstrators block tracks in Everett
UPDATE - 10:28 AM Ukraine: Russian forces in major rebel cities
UPDATE - 10:28 AM AP Analysis: Putin digs in for long Ukraine fight
UPDATE - 10:29 AM It's no longer safe to recline your airplane seat
UPDATE - 10:27 AM Infamous speed trap town investigated over tickets
UPDATE - 10:06 AM Surrogate offers clues into man with 16 babies
UPDATE - 10:01 AM Flight diverted, woman removed over seat dispute
UPDATE - 10:28 AM Report accuses Islamic State group of war crimes
Entertainment & Living
NEW - 10:12 AM Back -- and off to TIFF
UPDATE - 10:10 AM Burning Man festival draws peak crowd of 66,000
Most kids head back to school next week, but more can be done to help children from poor families get ready for the challenges of a new year.Editorial: "Still time to help students with school-supply drive"
- Editorial: Joe Fain, Pat Sullivan and Chris Barringer in 47th Legislative District
- Editorial: Thank you for helping students with school-supply drive
- Seattle's new police chief is an empathetic multitasker, but far from naive
- Times poll: 84 percent support elephant-exhibit closure
UPDATE - 10:29 AM US stock market turns lower in afternoon trading
- A bright spot for labor as tough times remain | Jon Talton
- Drone groan: first Amazon — and now Google | Brier Dudley