You might know Seattle offensive lineman Garry Gilliam, above, from his catch of a fake field goal in the NFC title game that got the Seahawks on the board. As the Super Bowl looms, Gilliam is thankful that his mother, Thelma Shifflett, chose to send him away to boarding school at age 7.
Washington will receive $48.2 million for more than 200 projects that shelter homeless adults and children.
- UPDATE - 09:30 PM 1 injured after shooting at Westfield Southcenter mall
- GOP senators introduce bill to kill Bertha and the tunnel project
- 3 arrested in 3 separate drive-by shootings in Seattle within 24 hours
- NEW - 09:03 PM Bills to abolish death penalty introduced in Legislature
- Body of missing hiker found in Olympic National Park
- UPDATE - 08:44 PM UW men’s basketball dismisses star center Robert Upshaw
NEW - 09:27 PM A family’s legacy rides with its GOHAWKS license plates
UPDATE - 07:38 PM Seahawks no longer blocking ‘Hunger Games’ trademark request
UPDATE - 09:31 PM Snowstorm threatens to paralyze the crowded Northeast US
UPDATE - 09:26 PM Border Protection lends a hand for Super Bowl security
UPDATE - 09:37 PM Kim’s wife, sister wield influence over North Korean leader
UPDATE - 09:27 PM Lawyer: Boy Scout files depict 'sordid' history of abuse
Entertainment & Living
While we should fix NCLB, we can't afford to stop holding states and schools accountable for the education of their students.Patty Murray guest column: "Congress needs to fix outdated federal No Child Left Behind education law"
- Editorial: Turning Federal Reserve building into a school is fitting for Seattle’s urban core
- Editorial: Voter initiatives need to include funding balance
- Guest: Let voters decide whether to raise the state minimum wage
- Google Glass joins the failure hall of fame | Froma Harrop / Syndicated columnist
NEW - 08:03 PM It’s the Patriots against the world
UPDATE - 08:09 PM Keegan Cook replaces Jim McLaughlin as UW women’s volleyball coach
UPDATE - 08:38 PM Business shift to cloud services hits traditional Microsoft cash cows
UPDATE - 09:19 PM Employers: Agreement made on key issue in port labor dispute