The Puget Sound VA is pushing to hire more doctors, nurses and other employees to cope with a growing patient load that has strained staff and contributed to health-care delays for veterans. Above, Bruce Buchanan, former medical director at the VA’s American Lake campus in Lakewood, says he's not optimistic about the agency meeting the growing needs of veterans.
A man walked up to two officers sitting inside a patrol car and opened fire Saturday, shooting both of them fatally before running into a nearby subway station and committing suicide.
- Ten years after ESA listing, killer whale numbers falling
- After 10 years, few payoffs from Gates ‘Grand Challenges’
- Police around state gain military firepower; critics see danger
- State treasurer: Put brakes on gas-tax reliance
- Prime year for a state lying contest | Danny Westneat
- Huskies deny reports that Marcus Peters choked a UW assistant coach
NEW - 06:00 AM Rant & Rave: $900 lost and found
- Times Investigation: Why license plates have cost us so much
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 11:15 AM Vashon artist among those who worked on handmade St. John’s Bible
NEW - 06:15 AM Dec. 21 TV Picks: ‘The Librarians’ on TNT
NEW - 06:15 AM ‘The Animals’ Santa’ tops Secret Garden youth sales
NEW - 06:15 AM Don’t slight the ‘other’ | Dear Carolyn
Some of the wording in the new law could be clarified. But from my experience, I just don't view the concept of background checks as a huge burden.Thanh Tan blog post: "A glimpse inside Washington's gun culture after Initiative 594 "
NEW - 08:00 PM A home-based investment that works | Investing
NEW - 08:00 PM All I want for a gift is ... better disclosure | Your Funds