The Huskies squeaked by with a 17-16 win in Chris Petersen's UW coaching debut. Hawaii, coming off a 1-11 season, had seemed an easy opponent, but it turned out to be a tough matchup. Above, John Ross leaves the Rainbow Warriors in his wake, scoring on a 91-yard pass play in the second quarter.
The state could make history if it finds the entire state Legislature in contempt for not making enough progress toward fully funding public education.
- Coastal quake risk: Japan on watch, Northwest ‘essentially blind’
- Seattle’s special-ed mess: Who’s in charge of what?
- UPDATE - 01:37 AM Police shoot man who fired gun on Queen Anne street
- Cyclist killed in crash was skilled attorney, new mom
- Danny Westneat: Right wing launches misguided protest against Labor Day
- UPDATE - 01:30 AM Fans expect Seahawks to defy odds for a Super Bowl repeat
- UPDATE - 11:55 PM M’s find another to flush away, losing 3-1 to Nationals
- What was wrong with ‘Puyallup Fair’? | The Wrap / Ron Judd
UPDATE - 01:32 AM EU threatens Russia with more sanctions
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 11:45 PM Soggy start and a little Panic! at Bumbershoot | Festival review
Most kids head back to school next week, but more can be done to help children from poor families get ready for the challenges of a new year.Editorial: "Still time to help students with school-supply drive"
- Editorial: State Supreme Court should be cautious in McCleary school-funding case
- Guest: The slide toward an impulse society, thanks to big data and Amazon.com
- Sooner than later, U.S. will have to confront Islamic State fighters | Trudy Rubin / Syndicated columnist