Brisia Jahana Ivarra Gomez, 11, picks up her "weekend backpack" full of food. The Salvation Army, one of 12 agencies benefiting from The Seattle Times Fund For The Needy, distributes the backpacks for 444 Renton elementary-school kids from low-income households. The fund has received $583,879 since the campaign began Nov. 23.
The central piece of Gov. Inslee’s proposal is a Carbon Pollution Accountability Act, which would affect the top 130 carbon-emitting facilities and fuel distributors in the state. Those businesses would be required to buy permits for every metric ton of greenhouse gas emissions per year.
- UPDATE - 08:04 PM Sony hacking linked to N. Korea; film opening canceled
- UPDATE - 06:55 PM Why does state's jobless rate keep rising? Brighter prospects
- UPDATE - 07:35 PM Seattle police to ditch two-tone uniforms
- UPDATE - 07:49 PM M's acquire outfielder Justin Ruggiano
- UPDATE - 08:06 PM Seahawks must shore up sacks against Cardinals
- FYI Guy: Explore this language diversity map of King County
- LIVE Follow the game as UW men's basketball takes on Grambling State
- Fund For The Needy donations on record pace
NEW - 08:02 PM Soccer-team owner accused of sexual assault, harassment
UPDATE - 08:05 PM Sony cancels 'The Interview' amid terror hack threats
UPDATE - 07:35 PM Swap of former Cuban intelligence agent at heart of U.S. deal
UPDATE - 07:51 PM Obama says people should 'go to the movies'
UPDATE - 07:47 PM Russians flock to stores to pre-empt price rises
UPDATE - 08:04 PM 14 charged in deadly 2012 meningitis outbreak
Entertainment & Living
Even when challenges or misunderstandings arise, the truth is that we all want the same thing: safety for the public, protection for taxpayers and daylight for Bertha.Lynn Peterson guest column: "WSDOT explains the settling, liability and safety of the Highway 99 tunnel project"
UPDATE - 07:54 PM Seahawks’ Paul Richardson still working through kickoff returns
UPDATE - 08:08 PM UW football recruiting: Huskies reeling in in-state recruits
NEW - 06:36 PM Tech investors plowing money into future farms
UPDATE - 08:09 PM Obstacles remain for selling local spuds or jets to Cuba
UPDATE - 07:43 PM US travel industry carefully eyeing Cuba tourism