Six months after the mudslide, the Oso area is preparing for a long-term emotional recovery through the quiet months of fall and winter. Above, Dave Schonhard of Snohomish County Public Works prepares to brief members of the Highway 530 Landslide Commission at their Aug. 22 visit to the site.
UPDATE - 03:38 PM
Study: Emissions aren’t the cause of West Coast warming
A rise in temperatures along the U.S. West Coast is almost entirely the result of natural forces — not greenhouse gases, according to a major new study.
UPDATE - 03:18 PM 8-year-old Oregon boy dies after fall
UPDATE - 03:43 PM Alaska TV reporter quits on air to promote pot
UPDATE - 03:37 PM Barge runs over pontoon boat on Snake River
UPDATE - 04:46 PM Constantine proposes levy for children as he unveils budget plan
UPDATE - 05:09 PM Owner: 'No misinformation' by Ravens on Rice
UPDATE - 05:17 PM US spacecraft enters Mars orbit, India probe next
UPDATE - 05:05 PM Bear suspected to have killed New Jersey hiker
UPDATE - 05:09 PM Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in intruder case
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 04:11 PM Obituary: J. (Joan) California Cooper
What the state does not need is a revenue patch-job from legislators that ends up on the ballot and is rejected by voters. What will the Supreme Court do then? Hold the voters in contempt?Lisa Macfarlane, guest column: "What to ask state candidates about education"
- Editorial: King County Metro Transit heeds the voters’ call on efficiencies
- NEW - 04:23 PM Editorials: Small changes to apodment rules could have big results
- No deal in Congress on Ex-Im Bank points to problems in both Washingtons
- NEW - 04:03 PM Finding hope in the margins | Thanh Tan / Times editorial columnist
- Gates inspires, polarizes as he delves into many fields | Jon Talton
- Spurlock, Vulcan vow exciting econ series | Sunday Buzz