With Proposition 1 trailing, King County officials said they will proceed with plans for cutting as many as one-sixth of bus-service hours just as ridership is climbing, a scenario officials have warned about for months. Above, bus riders commute during the 5 p.m. rush hour, in downtown Seattle.
UPDATE - 11:10 AM
Boeing CEO: Job transfers will strengthen company
Jim McNerney justified the work transfers — a loss of more than 4,300 jobs locally — as a way to leverage engineering talent available elsewhere in the company.
- UPDATE - 11:35 AM Exchange sign-ups for private insurance pass 164K
- Cost to fix Bertha may top $125 million, but who will pay?
- Obama visits mudslide site, says Oso’s strength ‘should inspire us all’
- Westneat: WWU’s president is right: The world is changing; deal with it
- UPDATE - 12:42 PM Age to buy tobacco in Washington could go up to 21
UPDATE - 12:26 PM Insurers, hospitals complain to Kreidler about new rules
UPDATE - 12:48 PM Amid Russian warning, Ukraine's in a security bind
UPDATE - 12:48 PM Climate change likely to make Everest even riskier
UPDATE - 12:49 PM Supreme Court limits awards to child-porn victims
UPDATE - 12:35 PM Teen stowaway’s prints found on plane’s wheel well
UPDATE - 12:15 PM SKorea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
UPDATE - 12:37 PM Michigan man among 1st in US to get 'bionic eye'
UPDATE - 12:37 PM 9th suspect in NC kidnapping turns self in to FBI
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 12:46 PM Lupita Nyong'o named People's 'Most Beautiful'
UPDATE - 12:46 PM Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine trip
We need White House leadership to place the country's economic well-being before that of bankers. We need to rein in recklessness, not subsidize it with our taxes.Nomi Prins, guest column: "Break alliances between Wall Street and the White House"
- Editorial: A disconnect for state’s 911 system
- Editorial: All eyes on May 25 presidential election in Ukraine
- A Nevada cattle rancher rustles up a Western land grab
- At long last, Washington lawmakers draw the line on tuition
UPDATE - 12:47 PM Seahawks schedule announcement live chat at 4:30 p.m.