A baby orca, the first born to one of Puget Sound's killer whale pods since 2012, is missing and presumed dead. The calf, seen here in a photo provided by the Center for Whale Research, apparently died while its pod was in the open ocean off Washington or British Columbia.
LOADED WITH LEAD, PART 3: At the Vancouver (Wash.) Rifle and Pistol Club, youngsters' alarming lead tests in 2010 prompted the club to upgrade the range.
NEW - 11:21 AM Car collides with Oregon log truck; 2 killed
UPDATE - 12:57 PM CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps team
NEW - 12:52 PM Terrorist ideology blamed in Canada soldier car attack
NEW - 12:52 PM Syria's Assad exploits US war against IS
Entertainment & Living
- The Edible Eight: Vote for your favorite Halloween candy
When we reach into that parenting tool bag and find it empty, out pops our too-ready hand, primed for use -- to hit a child. Unfortunately, for far too many, that tool bag is flat-out flimsy.Roslyn Ann Duffy guest column: "Spanking teaches the wrong life lessons to children"
- Editorial: FCC right to scrutinize exorbitant prison phone fees
- Editorial: The Times recommends in King County judge races: Janet Garrow, Ketu Shah, Phillip Tavel
- NEW - 12:00 PM Seattle disses Thug Kitchen, vegan cookbook signing cancelled
- Dave Chappelle’s status as racial commentator-in-chief reflects loss of faith in leaders and institutions
UPDATE - 12:42 PM Young, talented, coming to Seattle | Jon Talton
UPDATE - 01:03 PM Buyer beware: The meaning of 'organic' hazy for nonfood items
UPDATE - 01:04 PM Stocks gain, helped by China growth, Apple results