An inmate raises her hand to ask a question during a government class at the Washington Corrections Center for Women near Gig Harbor. Privately funded college classes are starting to creep back into state prisons after being absent for nearly two decades. Supporters say they reduce the recidivism rate and can save money on re-incarceration.
UPDATE - 07:50 PM
Sources: Seahawks to expand CenturyLink by 1,000 seats
CenturyLink’s first significant expansion would increase capacity to about 69,500 for Seahawks games in the 2015 season.
- UPDATE - 06:21 PM Dead whale found at Seattle dock struck by ship propeller
- Vanderbilt gang-rape defense points to campus culture
- 8 Republican governors buck party line on raising taxes
- Rare type of syphilis infects 6 statewide, leaves 2 blind
- UPDATE - 07:11 PM Guess who’s discovered income inequality? | Danny Westneat
UPDATE - 06:03 PM Woman arrested after drive-by shooting in Belltown
UPDATE - 07:38 PM As its economy grows, Charleston is torn over its architectural future
UPDATE - 06:34 PM Despite Houthis’ harsh slogans, signs of moderation seen
UPDATE - 07:32 PM For Obama, India takes a broom to stray monkeys and cows
UPDATE - 07:35 PM Meant to keep mosquitoes out, nets are used to haul fish in
UPDATE - 06:22 PM Tide turning in Ebola fight
NEW - 06:10 PM Submit a question for video chat on restorative justice
NEW - 06:05 PM Guest: Six common myths about student discipline
Entertainment & Living
While we should fix NCLB, we can't afford to stop holding states and schools accountable for the education of their students.Patty Murray guest column: "Congress needs to fix outdated federal No Child Left Behind education law"
- Editorial: Educating inmates is a wise investment for Wash.
- Editorial: Washington students need better laws at federal and state level
- Guest: Sen. Maria Cantwell can lead on communications reform in 2015
- Guest: West Coast ports are in rough seas due to slowdown
UPDATE - 06:44 PM Marysville-Pilchuck’s Austin Joyner a reluctant star
UPDATE - 07:01 PM Brandon Browner has found the Patriot Way
UPDATE - 07:22 PM Sounders begin camp with their minds on CBA negotiations
UPDATE - 06:31 PM Marshawn Lynch under league scrutiny at Super Bowl
UPDATE - 06:24 PM The week’s passages