EDUCATION LAB: Shelter Gimbel-Sherr, 10, prepares for an MRI with researcher Zoe Mestre and radiologist Todd Richards as part of a brain study at the University of Washington. Scientists are figuring out what happens as children learn, and how parents and schools can help those who struggle.
UPDATE - 09:27 PM
U.S., partners begin airstrikes in Syria
The strikes on Islamic State group targets expand a military campaign into Syria, whose three-year civil war has given the brutal militant group a safe haven.
- UPDATE - 08:15 PM What would possible 15% cut mean for state’s colleges?
- Study: Emissions aren’t the cause of West Coast warming
- NEW - 08:56 PM Seattle will fine for adding too much food to garbage bins
- Americans fear religion is losing influence, survey finds
- NEW - 09:14 PM Climate activist gives $1M to fight over control of state Senate
- NEW - 09:03 PM Bremerton-Seattle ferry wasn’t really overloaded Aug. 15, didn’t need to turn back
- Seahawk DeShawn Shead’s proposal after Broncos game took months of secret planning
- UPDATE - 09:28 PM Mariners’ pitching implodes in 14-4 loss at Toronto
NEW - 07:44 PM Disabled people could lose in budget cuts
NEW - 08:22 PM Amnesty blasts China for selling tools made for torture
UPDATE - 07:41 PM Fiji’s climate change and Seattle | Close-up
UPDATE - 08:53 PM Islamic State militants kill 40 Iraqi troops
UPDATE - 09:14 PM Owner: 'No misinformation' by Ravens on Rice
UPDATE - 09:23 PM Bear suspected to have killed New Jersey hiker
Entertainment & Living
What the state does not need is a revenue patch-job from legislators that ends up on the ballot and is rejected by voters. What will the Supreme Court do then? Hold the voters in contempt?Lisa Macfarlane, guest column: "What to ask state candidates about education"
- Editorials: Small changes to apodment rules could have big results
- Editorial: A Band-Aid for the Export-Import Bank
- No deal in Congress on Ex-Im Bank points to problems in both Washingtons
- Finding hope in the margins | Thanh Tan / Times editorial columnist
UPDATE - 08:52 PM Chris Petersen says UW needs ‘A’ game starting Saturday against Stanford
UPDATE - 09:22 PM Huskies head into key Pac-12 game still somewhat a mystery | Larry Stone
UPDATE - 08:29 PM Coach Pete Carroll: Seahawks have “grown” during first three weeks
NEW - 09:24 PM Great
- Gates inspires, polarizes as he delves into many fields | Jon Talton
- Spurlock, Vulcan vow exciting econ series | Sunday Buzz