State and federal lawmakers are searching for ways to help homeless students, and a program at a Tacoma school has served as a model for some of the legislation. The program helped Mary Kamandala, lower left, find work, a home and improve her children's school performance. Kamandala, originally from Sudan, is with five of her six children at a school playground in Tacoma.
UPDATE - 11:58 AM
Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia plane
Vietnamese air force planes today spotted two large oil slicks near where a Boeing 777 went missing, the first sign that the jet carrying 239 people had crashed.
UPDATE - 10:12 AM Zmuda sues Eastside Catholic: ‘Last thing I ever wanted to do’
UPDATE - 12:06 PM Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Washington state disciplines healthcare providers | Seattle/Local Health Guide
- Fortunately, fat floats | Three Sheets Northwest
- Chief Sealth students win President's Volunteer Service Award | West Seattle Blog
- Bird Lore: Western Meadowlark | My Edmonds News
- King County hosts ten health insurance enrollment events this Saturday, March 8 | Seattle/Local Health Guide
- 11:06 AM 750 detainees start hunger strike at ICE detention center in Tacoma
- 09:52 AM Saturday Memo: Oil slicks found ... Highway 99 work goes on ... Sounders FC season opener
- 09:35 PM Northline Sounder service canceled until Monday
- 06:50 PM Foreign student whose mom paid $2M bail sentenced in fatal crash
I found it easier to find health violations at my neighborhood restaurant than about problems at my kid's child-care center.Jonathan Martin, column: "Make child care transparent for parents"
- Editorial: SAT reforms welcome, but questions persist about test
- Editorial: Premera shrouds transparency
- UberX, Lyft and Sidecar finally reveal driver numbers in Seattle
- How the U.S. can lead on technological innovation