The Huskies squeaked by with a 17-16 win in Chris Petersen's UW coaching debut. Hawaii, coming off a 1-11 season, had seemed an easy opponent, but it turned out to be a tough matchup. Above, John Ross III leaves the Rainbow Warriors in his wake, scoring on a 91-yard pass play in the second quarter.
UPDATE - 10:31 PM
Cyclist killed in crash was skilled attorney
The cyclist killed in a crash Friday in downtown Seattle was Sher Kung, 31, a new mother and a respected attorney from the law firm Perkins Coie.
- UPDATE - 10:56 PM 11,200 lose power in Ballard, Crown Hill
- UPDATE - 09:05 PM 13-year-old girl dead after car hits family on highway in Kent
- Coastal quake risk: Japan on watch, Northwest ‘essentially blind’
- UPDATE - 10:16 PM Seattle’s special-ed mess: Who’s in charge of what?
UPDATE - 10:56 PM EU threatens Russia with more sanctions
Entertainment & Living
UPDATE - 09:01 PM Soggy start and a little Panic! at Bumbershoot | Festival review
Most kids head back to school next week, but more can be done to help children from poor families get ready for the challenges of a new year.Editorial: "Still time to help students with school-supply drive"
- Editorial: State Supreme Court should be cautious in McCleary school-funding case
- Guest: The slide toward an impulse society, thanks to big data and Amazon.com
- Sooner than later, U.S. will have to confront Islamic State fighters | Trudy Rubin / Syndicated columnist
UPDATE - 10:32 PM Mariners find another to flush away, losing 3-1 to Washington
UPDATE - 11:07 PM Will Power wins his first IndyCar Series title