PACIFIC NW MAGAZINE: Water-quality specialist Mike Dawson sinks a bottle into Anderson Lake to obtain a sample. Many algae blooms are harmless. But sometimes they produce poisonous toxins. A rare toxin, which mysteriously thrives in this lake, can kill a person in less than five minutes.
UPDATE - 09:41 PM
New transportation boss driven to keep Seattle moving
Scott Kubly says his aim is to integrate the city’s transportation system while balancing the needs of pedestrians, bicyclists, transit riders and motorists.
- NEW - 08:40 PM We are worse than NFL as far as domestic violence goes | Danny Westneat
- UPDATE - 08:54 PM Nordstrom opens first store in Canada
- 2 men charged with murder in beating of Boeing manager
- UPDATE - 08:33 PM Video shows SPD officer punch cuffed woman, documents say
- For Alibaba, a roaring trading debut as stock surges 38 percent
- Two children are first cases of enterovirus in the state
- Gates inspires, polarizes as he delves into many fields | Jon Talton
- Huskies play ’em one game at a time — because they have to
UPDATE - 10:33 PM Spokane's Cupich to be next Chicago archbishop
UPDATE - 08:55 PM Man shot in leg during West Seattle fight
UPDATE - 09:30 PM 2 children in state confirmed with rare enterovirus
UPDATE - 10:26 PM Turkey: 49 hostages have been freed
UPDATE - 09:16 PM 700 babies maybe exposed to TB at Texas hospital
UPDATE - 10:22 PM Fierce fighting in Yemeni capital kills 120
UPDATE - 09:02 PM At least 3 die as tropical storm turns Manila streets into rivers
UPDATE - 10:10 PM Daughter calls Utah doctor a monster at sentencing
UPDATE - 10:10 PM Guilty verdict in peanut trial should send warning
Entertainment & Living
In fact, the most important issue — the risk to human life — is not explicitly considered in routine landslide-hazard assessments.Joseph Wartman, guest column: "How to avert the next Oso landslide disaster"
- Editorial: Seattle Housing Authority rent proposal needs work
- Editorial: The Times recommends Jeanne Kohl-Welles, Reuven Carlyle and Gael Tarleton in the 36th District
- Guest: Should schools start later? Medical reasons to delay
- Can the Ray Rice domestic violence incident lead to more survivors?
UPDATE - 10:30 PM Mike Zunino’s home run keys Mariners’ 10-5 win
UPDATE - 10:31 PM Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
NEW - 10:15 PM Ex-Sonic Desmond Mason brings his art back to Seattle
UPDATE - 10:32 PM Stakes are high in the Super Bowl rematch | Larry Stone