Jerry Brewer: The Chris Petersen era begins in what seems like an anti-Petersen place. The serious, detail-oriented new coach probably wouldn't have chosen Hawaii, where the laid-back island vibe could rob a football team of its edge. And Peterson is all about keeping an edge.
UPDATE - 12:25 PM
Cyclist killed just days before upgrades to risky route
The woman killed in Friday's bicycle crash has been identified by her employer as attorney and mother Sher Kung, 31. The crash happened days before Seattle plans to do safety modifications.
- Burned clothes, blood, bone raise homicide suspicions in Auburn
- Calif. lawmakers pass nation's first statewide ban on plastic bags
- Danny Westneat: Right wing launches misguided protest against Labor Day
- NEW - 1:00 PM Live chat: Sounders FC vs. Colorado Rapids
- UPDATE - 12:35 PM Live: Seahawks' final cuts for 53-man roster
UPDATE - 11:42 AM Surly 2014 electorate poised to 'keep the bums in'
Entertainment & Living
Most kids head back to school next week, but more can be done to help children from poor families get ready for the challenges of a new year.Editorial: "Still time to help students with school-supply drive"
- Editorial: In wake of Ferguson, expand Seattle police outreach to more communities of color
- Editorial: Seattle needs to help Nickelsville instead of sticking it to Little Saigon
- Editorial notebook: What are your discoveries, disasters about moving to Seattle?
- Guest: Coping with the angst of dropping off your child at college