White-painted “ghost bikes” symbolizing the death of a cyclist were part of a memorial Friday at Second Avenue and University Street downtown next to Benaroya Hall. Mourners gathered and passers-by left flowers after a rider died in a collision with a truck. The crash happened less than two weeks before Seattle was about to change the bike lane into a protected route.
UPDATE - 11:15 PM
The threat within: West fears extremists returning home
Thousands of radicalized Americans and Europeans are believed to be fighting in Syria and Iraq.
- Burn site in Auburn raises homicide suspicions
- NEW - 09:52 PM $1M from Bloomberg group to support background checks
- NEW - 09:17 PM Pierce County judge upholds Fife ban on pot businesses
- Danny Westneat: Right wing launches misguided protest against Labor Day
- UPDATE - 11:16 PM Terrelle Pryor to be released by Seahawks
- UPDATE - 11:13 PM Mariners: Montero’s season over after altercation with scout
UPDATE - 09:54 PM Bellevue now denies drain filters caused flood damage
UPDATE - 09:58 PM Oregon spotted frog gains protection as threatened species
UPDATE - 09:52 PM Federal judge blocks key part of Texas law on abortion clinics
UPDATE - 10:20 PM McConnell’s campaign manager resigns over 2012 scandal
UPDATE - 09:54 PM President speaks to Americans’ unease over world events
UPDATE - 09:58 PM Russian-backed rebels push toward Ukraine’s strategic seaport
UPDATE - 11:23 PM Experimental Ebola drug heals all monkeys in study
UPDATE - 11:25 PM California appeals teacher tenure ruling
NEW - 09:03 PM Former Jethro Tull bass player Glenn Cornick dies
Entertainment & Living
NEW - 12:13 PM Greek yogurt you’ll swear came from the gods | Taste
Most kids head back to school next week, but more can be done to help children from poor families get ready for the challenges of a new year.Editorial: "Still time to help students with school-supply drive"
- Editorial: In wake of Ferguson, expand Seattle police outreach to more communities of color
- Editorial: Seattle needs to help Nickelsville instead of sticking it to Little Saigon
- Editorial notebook: What are your discoveries, disasters about moving to Seattle?
- Guest: Coping with the angst of dropping off your child at college
UPDATE - 11:13 PM Felix Hernandez gives up four homers for first time
UPDATE - 09:29 PM What’s new in back-to-school tech gadgets